5 for Friday: Getting Ahead at Work Edition
by meslayter, published 01/11/2013
- 5 Solid Tips for Sticking to Your Career Resolutions. U.S. News and World Report: "According to research I conducted with my colleagues at VitalSmarts, 97 percent of employees report they have some career-limiting habit that keeps them from achieving their potential at work,” says Joseph Grenny, co-founder of the corporate training company VitalSmarts and co-author of New York Times bestseller Influencer: The Power to Change Anything.
- The 7 Difficulties of Networking. Houston Chronicle: "One of the most important principles of networking is that in order to build a relationship with people, you must make people feel valued, be generous with your information, share what you know, and describe what you have experienced."
- The Power of Your Network is the "Ask." HBR Blog Network: "One of the biggest assets in anyone's life is a generous network. It is a gift that grows simply by sharing it."
- New Boss Means New Way of Working. USA Today: "The project you worked on so hard last year? The new boss doesn't know about it and doesn't really care to know. The times you stayed late and came in early? Again, the new boss doesn't know and doesn't care."
- Be an Industry Insider: How to Squeeze Job-Related Reading Into Your Day. The Daily Muse: "Instead of defaulting to your guilty reading pleasures, challenge yourself to stay on top of current events and incorporate industry news into your daily routine."