5 for Friday: Leave Your Job Edition
By monsterstaff | March 8, 2013
- Groupon CEO: "Just Kidding, I Was Fired." Bloomberg: “Groupon Inc. ousted Andrew Mason as chief executive officer yesterday after the stock declined more than 80 percent from its November 2011 high. Mason left an unusual farewell note to his former employees, which was linked from his Twitter account.”
- Rosenthal: This Is the Way to Exit the Stage Right. The Chicago Tribune: “A lot of people leave kicking and screaming and furious, and you've got to bottle that up. This goes on in interviews too. A potential employer will say, 'What went on at your last job?' And for a while, for some people, it's hard to resist saying, 'It wasn't my fault' and launch into (a lament) because they haven't come to terms with it."
- Know When to Quit Your Job by Watching for these Signals. Lifehacker: “You may fantasize about telling your boss to take this job and shove it, but that will only give you short-term relief and could possibly ruin your professional life. There's nothing worse than taking a bad situation and leaving it badly.”
- Graceful Exits. Girl on Wire, a Teltek Blog: “Life can change in the blink of an eye and we have all been in those situations. Although you can’t always be in control of your destiny, it’s important to remember that you are in control of how you act when you’re handed that lemon.”
- How to Resign (Gracefully) From Your Job. AARP: “You want your grace, dignity and professional contributions to speak louder than anything. Remember, resigning doesn't necessarily mean retiring. You may find you'll need to reach out to former colleagues for future business.”