Sample resume for a human resources generalist
The job of a human resources generalist includes the implementation of programs and services such as talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, safety and health, succession planning, employee relations and retention, AA/EEO compliance and labor relations.
View and download the Human Resources Generalist resume template in Word.
Learn more about human resources careers.
Impress employers with a high-impact resume and cover letter from the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service.
Human Resources Generalist Resume Sample
1414 Marcy Drive
Sometown, CA 90000
- Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR) with additional state certification in California (PHR-CA) offering a 14-year HR career distinguished by commended performance and proven results.
- Extensive background in HR generalist affairs, including experience in employee recruitment and retention, staff development, mediation, conflict resolution, benefits and compensation, HR records management, HR policies development and legal compliance.
- Demonstrated success in negotiating win-win compromises, developing teambuilding programs, and writing personnel manuals, corporate policies, job descriptions and management reports.
- Staff Recruitment & Retention
- Employee Relations
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- Benefits Administration
- HR Program/Project Management
- Orientation & On-Boarding
- HRIS Technologies
- Training & Development
- Performance Management
- Organizational Development
ABC COMPANY -- Los Angeles, CA
Provides voice and data communications systems for small and mid-sized companies.
HR Generalist, 2002-present
Recruited to help open new company branch in Los Angeles, guiding the startup and management of a full spectrum of HR operations, systems and programs. Worked with senior management to create HR policies and procedures; recruit employees; create group benefits databases; and develop orientation, training and incentive programs. Manage leave-of-absence programs and personnel records; administer benefits enrollment and programs; administer HR budget; and handle HR generalist workplace issues.
- Played a key role in ensuring the successful launch of Los Angeles office. Structured and implemented programs and policies in the areas of training, compensation structures, benefits packages, incentives and new-employee orientation.
- Fostered a teamwork/open-door environment conducive to positive dialogue across the organization. Personal efforts were cited as the driving force behind branch's employee-retention rate of 89% within an industry where high turnover is the norm.
- Negotiated approximately 50 salary offers and dozens of sign-on bonuses/relocation packages annually at both the exempt and nonexempt level.
- Brought workers' compensation program into full compliance. Instituted preferred providers list and trained managers and associates on procedures to follow in case of injury.
- Reduced benefits costs by 15% annually through meticulous recordkeeping and ensuring that company did not pay for benefits for which employees were ineligible.
- Wrote employee manual covering issues including disciplinary procedures, code of conduct, FMLA policy and benefits information.
- Introduced company's first formal performance review program, creating a flexible and well-received tool that was later adopted company-wide.
- Revised job descriptions across all levels and 50+ categories. "Shadowed" and interviewed employees to construct an accurate picture of the duties and skills required for each position.
DEF COMPANY -- Lake Forest, CA
Leading home healthcare company employing 4,500 professionals.
HR Representative, 1997-2002
HR Assistant, 1995-1997
Promoted to fulfill a broad range of HR functions, including recruiting and training employees, administering benefits, overseeing disciplinary action and managing HR records. Co-chaired annual flex-enrollment meetings, resolved conflicts between employees and insurance carriers, coordinated health fairs to promote employee wellness and performed exit interviews.
- Trained 25-member management team on interviewing techniques and best practices, conducting workshops and one-on-one coaching sessions that contributed to sound hiring decisions.
- Co-developed company's first-ever standardized disciplinary procedures and tracking system that insulated company from legal risk and ensured consistent and fair discipline processes.
- Devised creative and cost-effective incentive and morale-boosting programs (including special events and a tiered awards structure) that increased employee satisfaction and productivity.
- Reworked new-hire orientation program to include HR information and company resources.
- Saved company thousands of dollars every month by reducing reliance on employment agencies. Brought the majority of formerly outsourced recruiting functions in-house to reduce billable hours from 200+ to less than 15 per month.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY -- Northridge, CA
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology (with honors), 1994
Activities: Worked concurrently during college as a sales rep and team supervisor for ABC Video Store.
- PHR-CA (Professional in Human Resources with CA state-specific certification), 2001
- PHR (Professional in Human Resources), 1999
- Complete ongoing training in the areas of compensation and benefits, employee and labor relations, leaves of absence, workers' compensation and workplace safety/security.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- Staffing Management Association (SMA) of Southern CA
- HRIS applications (UltiPro, PeopleSoft Enterprise Human Resources, ADP)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)