Think Your Friends Have Horrible Bosses, Too? You’re Probably Right
More than One-Third of Poll Respondents Rate Their Boss as “Horrible”
WESTON, Mass.--Nov. 25, 2014-- A poll conducted by Monster reveals that more than one in three consider their boss to be “horrible” (38%) and 54% of respondents gave their boss a negative rating. Only 17% of respondents gave their boss an “excellent” grade. Monster, the worldwide leader in successfully connecting job opportunities to people, asked visitors to their site, “On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your current or former boss?” and received over 2,700 responses. U.S. findings were:
- 38% of respondents answered “1 (horrible)”
- 16% of respondents answered “2”
- 16% of respondents answered “3”
- 13% of respondents answered “4”
- 17% of respondents answered “5 (excellent)”
"Your relationship with your boss can do more than upset your day -- it can make or break your entire career," said Mary Ellen Slayter, Career Advice Expert for Monster. “Having an adversarial relationship with your direct superior can negatively impact your life in countless ways with daily stress and stunted career growth generally being the most common.”
There are a few options if you're reporting to an awful boss:
- Try to improve your relationship. Work on seeing situations from your boss's perspective. They may be subject to stresses that you're not aware of. See if there are ways you can help. Make it a point to calmly address problems face-to-face and resist "venting" to your co-workers.
- Ask HR if you can be transferred to a different team or division -- with a new manager. Some companies are willing to find a better fit for their employees.
- Explore options outside your company. Once you reach the interview stage of your job hunt, make sure you meet your potential new boss. Be wary of traits that remind you of your “horrible” boss.
The results of the current Monster International Poll are based on votes cast by Monster visitors from: October 20 – November 3, 2014. Only one vote per user is counted toward the final tabulation. The Monster International poll, a product of Monster, the premier global online employment solution and flagship brand of Monster Worldwide, Inc., is a series of online polls that gauge users’ opinions on a variety of topics relating to careers, the economy and the workplace. These polls are not scientific and reflect the opinions of only those Internet users who have chosen to participate.
For tips on being happier by finding better, please visit: monster.com/blog/
About Monster Worldwide
Monster Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:MWW), is a global leader in successfully connecting job opportunities and people. Monster uses the world's most advanced technology to help people Find Better, matching job seekers to opportunities via digital, social and mobile solutions including monster.com®, our flagship website, and employers to the best talent using a vast array of products and services. As an Internet pioneer, more than 200 million people have registered on the Monster Worldwide network. Today, with operations in more than 40 countries, Monster provides the broadest, most sophisticated job seeking, career management, recruitment and talent management capabilities globally. For more information visit monster.com/about.
Caroline Nussbaum, 646-248-1390