Functional resume sample
A functional resume highlights your skills and experience rather than focusing on your work history.
Don’t let the name fool you. This type of resume (as opposed to a chronological resume) isn’t merely “functional.” Written the right way, it could help land you exactly the kind of job you’re looking for—regardless of when or what your last job was.
Are you changing careers, have a gap in your work history or are you applying for a job that doesn’t match your most recent position? Then a functional resume might be one for you.
To see an example of a functional resume, check out Chris Attwater’s resume below—or you can download the functional resume template in Word and personalize it for you. And if you need more tips, the experts at Monster's Resume Writing Service can help you craft a strong resume that can get you noticed by hiring managers.
Functional resume sample
567 Rosewood Lane
Colorado Springs, CO 81207
Executive assistant position allowing for parlay of demonstrated organization, customer service, communication and project management skills proven by 13 years of successful, profitable self-employment.
Motivated, personable business professional with multiple college degrees and a successful 13-year track record of profitable small business ownership. Talent for quickly mastering technology -- recently completed Microsoft Office Suite certificate course. Diplomatic and tactful with professionals and nonprofessionals at all levels. Accustomed to handling sensitive, confidential records. Demonstrated history of producing accurate, timely reports meeting stringent HMO and insurance guidelines.
Flexible and versatile -- able to maintain a sense of humor under pressure. Poised and competent with demonstrated ability to easily transcend cultural differences. Thrive in deadline-driven environments. Excellent team-building skills.
- Project Management
- Report Preparation
- Written Correspondence
- General Office Skills
- Computer Savvy
- Customer Service
- Marketing & Sales
- Insurance Billing
- Front-Office Operations
- Professional Presentations
- Prepare complex reports for managed-care organizations and insurance companies, ensuring full compliance with agency requirements and tight deadlines.
- Author professional correspondence to customers and vendors.
- Design and deliver series of classes for local businesses and associations, providing ergonomic counseling and educating employees on proper lifting techniques to avoid injury.
- Conduct small-group sessions on meditation/relaxation techniques.
- Communicate medical concepts to patients using layman's terms to facilitate understanding.
- Rapidly learn and master varied computer programs; recently completed Microsoft Office Suite certificate course.
Customer Service/Marketing/Problem Solving
- Oversee front-office operations and provide impeccable customer service:
--Built a clientele supported by 60% referral business.
- Develop and implement strategic marketing plan for business:
-- Launched a thriving private practice, building revenue from $0 to over $72K in first three years with minimal overhead.
-- Create special promotions, write/design print and outdoor advertising and coordinate all media buying.
- Won over a highly skeptical medical community as the first chiropractor to target MDs for informative in-service demonstrations, classes and booths:
-- Presentations resulted in standing-room-only crowds of 50+.
-- Four MDs subsequently became patients and referred family members as well.
-- Increased client base by one-third resulting from MD referrals.
Detail Mastery & Organization
- Manage all aspects of day-to-day operations as multisite owner and practitioner of Attwater Chiropractic:
-- Facility rental/maintenance.
-- Patient scheduling for busy office averaging 52 appointments weekly.
-- Finances: accounts payable/receivable, invoicing, insurance billing, budgeting.
-- Supervision of a total of eight medical receptionist interns.
-- Compliance with all healthcare facility, HMO and insurance requirements.
ATTWATER CHIROPRACTIC -- Colorado Springs, CO; Pueblo, CO; Cheyenne, WY
Owner/Operator, 2010 to Present
LAKEVIEW RESTAURANT & CAFÉ -- Minneapolis, MN
Waitress, 2008 to 2010
NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE OF CHIROPRACTIC -- Minneapolis, MN
Doctor of Chiropractic Degree, 2010
- Four-year advanced degree requiring 30-34 credit hrs. per quarter.
- GPA: 3.89/4.0
- Licensed to practice chiropractic in Colorado, Minnesota, Wyoming and Montana.
BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE -- Great Bend, KS
Associate's Degree in Pre-chiropractic, 2008
- GPA: 4.0/4.0
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Access
- Medisoft (Insurance Billing Software)
Available for relocation
567 Rosewood Lane | Colorado Springs, CO 81207 | (960) 555-1212 | email@example.com
Is your resume ready for hiring managers? Join Monster today. You can upload up to five versions of your resume, so you could add several versions of a functional resume to highlight different areas of expertise—as well as a chronological resume, depending on what kind of job you're applying for.