10 signs you're crushing hard on a job opportunity
How do you know you're in love with a potential new job? When you start talking about it in your sleep, for one thing.
We've all been there. You're scouting around, surveying the latest job listings on the market when it catches you out of the corner of your eye. Not just any job. THE job. And you have to have it. You have to have it right now.
Crushing on a job isn't so different from crushing on a person. Your thoughts become circular, spiraling ineffably toward the object of your desires as you're eating, riding the train, trying to fall asleep at night. It enters your conversations unbidden, so that one minute you're talking about what you had for breakfast and the next you're prattling on about the merits of modern beekeeping techniques (in this hypothetical scenario you really, really want to be a beekeeper).
There's no cure for this condition except biting the bullet and shooting off your application, but for now let's focus on knowing the signs. So without further ado, you know you're crushing hard on a job opportunity when...
1. It's been 10 seconds and you already want to commit.
Except by "marry" you mean "get the job." But what's the difference, really?
2. You have hot flashes whenever you think about it.
Better grab the sweat bucket.
3. You keep refreshing the search results to make sure the job's still there.
4. You scan the qualifications and realize you have every single one.
5. You spend more time on your cover letter than you did on your master's thesis.
"Dear hiring manager..." No, too generic. "Dear VERY ATTRACTIVE hiring manager..."
6. You jump a mile in the air every time the phone rings.
Nope, just the pizza guy letting you know he's outside.
7. When you come in for the interview, you have a hard time containing your enthusiasm.
Just keep in mind that spontaneous hand jiving is not an acceptable answer to "what are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?"
8. The ensuing waiting period nearly gives you a nervous breakdown.
Hope you've still got that sweat bucket.
9. You respond to the big news with a mixture of euphoria and disbelief.
"Are you sure you don't have the wrong number?"
10. You live happily ever after.
You can thank us later.