Job Family: Information Technology
Discipline: Software Engineers
Department: Corporate Applications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Location: Pittsburgh PA
- Provide overall leadership for assigned administration staff.
- Manage in the administrative processes for human resource actions (hiring, professional development, promotions, terminations, disciplinary procedures, and salary adjustments) to maintain a skilled technical and customer service-oriented staff.
- Set expectations & focus, assign duties, delegate responsibilities, evaluate activities, etc.
- Provide ongoing performance feedback, goal setting, and development plans for staff. Plan for future staffing needs.
- Serve as a mentor to less experienced team members as needed.
- Assist experienced team members with the delegation of work efforts Assists in strategic development approaches as needed. Provide timely communications to staff.
- Maintain an ongoing list of current and upcoming project requests.
- Handle communication with key business stakeholders to develop and prioritize IT project lists. Facilitate ongoing development of tasks and communication within the various technology groups.
- Support contributors in execution and delivery of architecture tasks.
- Direct technological research by studying organization goals, strategies, practices, and user projects.
- Assure appropriate communications and coordination with management, other IT areas and other University departments.
- Provide timely and effective communications to the technical administration staff. Represent the technical groups on advisory, policy, and project committees.
- Foster communication with users of Information Technology.
- Promote accomplishments to the user community.
- Maintain contacts and collaborate regularly with other institutions of higher education. End-user interfacing for the purpose of implementation of new systems and trouble-shoot problems with existing systems, including customization and upgrade commercial software packages when appropriate.
- Maintain proficiency, certifications, and acquire knowledge on development and architecture processes and best practices regarding delivering development services to a university campus by reading trade journals, attending conferences, seminars, and classes, participating in discussions with colleagues and peer institutions.
- Adhere to internal controls established for department.
Bachelor's degree in Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Management Information Systems, or related field.
Seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience managing/directing software development projects and/or teams including three (3) years of experience with object oriented and functional programming and big data.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- 5-8 years of development experience
- 3-5 years of experience using C# and .NET
- 3-5 years of experience using .NET MVC
- 3-5 years of experience with Frameworks like jQuery, Knockouts, and AngularJS
- Experience with one or more real-time communication (e.g., RESTful APIs, Webservices, WebSocket).
- Experience designing systems using OOP best practices
- Experience with writing out CSS especially leveraging Bootstrap for building out
- Strong knowledge of a wide range of cloud services and solutions like Microsoft Azure products, including serverless architecture
- Thorough knowledge of cloud service provider capabilities and integration
- Working knowledge of IT compliance, information security, and risk management
- Working knowledge of the applicable programing languages, orchestration, and automation tools
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience and knowledge of driving automation into all aspects of the build and release process
- Excellent organizational, communication, multitasking, human relations, and customer service skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Understanding of data security and best practices for balancing availability with security.
- Experience coordinating, planning, and organizing upgrades of systems and technology.
- Experienced in designing and possesses ability to develop a unified vision for software characteristics and functions.
- Experienced with planning changes in a timely way so that the overall organization can make progress before completion. Technical knowledge of various platforms to ensure applications and infrastructure stacks are current and supported.
- Project and time management skills with abilities of effectively managing competing priorities.