Columbia College Chicago is an acclaimed undergraduate and graduate institution that provides a comprehensive education in the arts, communications and public relations. We constantly aim to reach our full potential as an educational innovator, incubator of new creative practice and generator of real-world success for young creatives. We are located in the heart of Chicago, across the street from historic Grant Park, and housed in some of the most iconic buildings in the South Loop.
Columbia College Chicago a private urban institution of over 6,000 undergraduate and graduate students, four-year College offering a distinctive curriculum that blends liberal arts, creative and media arts and business is currently searching for a part-time Staff Accompanist.
The part-time, Staff Accompanist, in their area of musical expertise, provides musical support for modern, ballet, and/or West African Dance technique classes, in deference to the course professor.
The accompanist may use instruments provided by the Dance department, or they may supplement these with their own instruments/technology. The position reports to the assigned instructor, and the Director of Facilities and Operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide musically interesting aural accompaniment for weekly dance technique classes.
- Arrive on time, ready to play at start of class.
- Communicate effectively with the Music Services Coordinator and/or Instructor.
- Play piano, drums, or other instruments or devices for class sessions, as required per the published class schedule.
- Accompany additional academic events such as Express Your Mess, when such events are scheduled during a regular class session.
- Accompany pre-arranged warm-up classes for performances apart from the regular class schedule as needed.
- Proficiency in instrumental techniques and styles appropriate for the dance technique class the musician is engaged to provide accompaniment for, i.e. European Classical piano textures for ballet, traditional West African hand drumming styles for West African technique classes, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency and sensitivity to creating musical textures appropriate for each classroom moment.
- Demonstrated ability to improvise as required.
- Accompanist must be attentive and engaged during class time.
- Demonstrate the ability to cultivate appropriate, collegial relationships with faculty, students and staff.
- Previous experience as a classroom accompanist preferred.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee and is subject to change based on the needs of the department and/or college.
At Columbia, we offer a rewarding work environment for our faculty and staff. We take pride in offering competitive benefits with affordable health, dental and vision coverage; flexible spending accounts; commuter benefit program, life and accidental, death & dismemberment coverage; paid and unpaid leave options; work/life benefits; educational assistance programs; and retirement and financial planning benefits.
We invite you to join our talented faculty and staff and become part of our collective aspiration to ensure Columbia prepares students for success in their creative fields through innovation, engagement and real-world experiences.
Position subject to a background screening.
This is a non-union position.
This position is overtime eligible.
Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Columbia College Chicago is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations concerning civil rights. The college does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law.