About Learning Without Tears (LWT):We are an ever-growing, family owned company striving to provide the best education products, professional learning, and digital resources for educators and children. Innovation and collaboration fuel us every day. We live our passion of helping children learn and grow.
Join our mission-driven, dynamic team as we embrace change, excellence, creativity, and simplicity to make a difference in educators' and children's lives. LWT believes in diversity, equity & inclusion, and strives to create a culture of community & belonging. Our employees bring a variety of experiences and perspectives that fuel our passion and innovation and drive our mission.
The Accountant is responsible for the timely production and analysis of month end financial statements and supporting schedules in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP) and LWT policy.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Perform monthly closing processes including booking month end journal entries, reconciling high risk accounts, reviewing, and approving peer reconciliations and analyzing GL balances.
- Gain and maintain a thorough understanding of LWT's chart of accounts, policies, procedures, operations, and controls and manage related documentation.
- Proactively research, recommend and implement improvements or modifications to accounting policy, processes, and procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency of financial reporting.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of the LWT customer and business transactions.
- Maintain schedules of fixed & intangible assets, including capitalized R&D.
- Collaborate with the Planning and Analysis Group to identify impact of actual results on upcoming plan(s) or reforecast(s).
- Recognize and recommend cost savings opportunities with possibilities of LWT improvements to increase the bottom line
- Assist in managing processes and procedures related to month end close, account reconciliations, payroll, and sales tax. Ensure deadlines are met and collaborate with Accounting team members to meet required deadlines
- Process monthly sales and use tax reconciliations and adjustments for US and Canada.
- Work with Inventory Management group to review and understand variances with inventory value or quantity.
- Work with Operations Group to resolve customer payment issues.
- Assist with income tax return and state notices.
- Understand the dependencies of groups across LWT, build relationships with related stakeholders and effectively communicate across functions to ensure accuracy and completeness of accounting data.
- Assist in documenting, validating, and/or adhering to standard operating procedures and identifying gaps, making recommendations, and presenting solutions to address internal control weaknesses.
- Maintain LWT Accounting shared mailbox.
- Partner with various stakeholders to provide insights into financial results.
- Complete special projects as required.
Your Experience & Qualifications:
- B.A. or B.S. in Accounting or Finance; or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- 2 years related accounting experience with a solid understanding of US GAAP and financial statements.
- Experience managing timely month-end closings.
- Ability to research, evaluate, and document appropriate application of accounting and tax guidance.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects at once while completing quality work on a timely basis.
- Comfort working with sensitive & confidential information; excellent ethics and judgment.
- Ability to work independently and successfully collaborate across functions and team members.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a focus on providing outstanding customer service to a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Excel with working knowledge of all other MS Office applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Teams, etc.)
- Experience with accounting and tax software (NetSuite and/or Avalara) preferred.
Why Learning Without Tears:
Check out even more reasons why Learning Without Tears is a great place to work.
- Competitive benefits including medical, prescription, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, paid family leave, pet insurance, standing desks, flexible scheduling, and more!
- Fun happens with company picnics, health and wellness fairs, Turkey Fry, Yankee swap, pizza and happy hour Fridays, milestone and birthday celebrations, and other surprises!
Apply now at https://www.lwtears.com/join-our-team
Learning Without Tears is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.