Admissions Specialist / Full-Time / Days
Chestnut Health Systems
Chestnut Health Systems is seeking a full-time Admissions Specialist to work Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for our Bloomington, IL facility.
Chestnut Health Systems is a leading provider of behavioral and primary health care services. Over four decades, Chestnut has grown to over 700 committed, compassionate employees providing substance use, mental health and primary care treatment to patients in Central and Southern Illinois. We provide fully integrated care for all of our patients by combining behavioral health care services with our community-based primary care health centers. Chestnut also conducts research and training throughout the U.S.A.
**Please note to be considered for a position you must attach a resume, complete the application, and answer all screening questions.
- Provide a non-judgmental, welcoming and compassionate presence upon greeting clients and throughout the intake session. Utilize trauma-informed care when presented with challenging client behaviors.
- Provide calming guidance and information to clients on what to expect during their appointment and/or admission process (and beyond, as needed). Offer clients written information on other Chestnut services in which they express an interest. Assist clients with completion of required paperwork for admission or for assessment appointments.
- Complete structured suicide risk assessments and suicide screening for clients presenting for admission; communicate with associated staff, based upon results. Begin safety plan with client, as needed.
- During the intake or admission process monitor clients for current non-SI mental health needs that may require immediate or special care. Communicate details to unit staff and document in the EMR.
- Identify and communicate client needs and issues to team members, work collaboratively with the team in taking first recommended steps and provide effective support when concerns arise during the intake process.
- Maintain clear and timely documentation of all billable services provided.
- With both external customers and internal team members, choose interactions that reflect Chestnut’s recovery values of Hope, Respect, Empowerment, Health and Wellness and Spirituality and Connectedness.
- Obtain and enter into the EMR demographic and billing information for clients, within established time frames and expectations:
- Verify and enter income and household size for all Medicaid/MCO/DASA/SUPR clients.
- Access approved websites and software packages to verify current insurance eligibility prior to scheduled appointments/admits when possible, or when face-to-face with the client.
- Determine and enter the appropriate payer and priority (waterfall order), based on enrollment type, funding sources, referrals, etc.
- Complete the insurance verification form and forward to Utilization Management staff, as appropriate.
- Notify the client of any services not covered by his/her benefits, as appropriate.
- Follow-up with client to complete any missing information needed for billing or prior authorization needs. Update EMR as necessary.
- For all appropriate SUD clients, obtain consent signatures on Dominion disclosure and complete payer entry into Dominion software, if necessary. Assist Dominion staff with missing information as requested.
- Assist families with grant funding requirements, and address other questions that relate to financial arrangements:
- Distribute the following required information to the client or responsible party: Chestnut rate schedule; b) Chestnut Payment Policy; and c) any other information as required.
- Verify DASA/SUPR eligibility and complete waiver approval as appropriate.
- Follow-up with clients for income verification requirements (DASA letter database).
- Connect appropriate clients with Enrollment Assistance staff or EAP resources.
- Thoroughly explain, complete and obtain all required signatures from clients (or responsible parties) pertaining to the required paperwork, in accordance with program and agency policies and procedures.
- Ensure completion and maintenance of required financial details to support corresponding determinations:
- Review all intakes daily for accuracy and correct any intake errors identified by AR or other departments.
- Prepare, ensure distribution of and maintain record of letters sent to clients to request financial documentation; update record upon receipt of requested information.
- Achieve and maintain status as a Certified Application Counselor; assist clients with accessing Medicaid insurance benefits.
- Complete functions of the Central Access Specialist when not in appointments:
- Answer calls from the queue.
- Complete detailed preadmission and/or phone screenings; make or staff admission decisions with appropriate personnel; document thoroughly.
- Schedule appointments, as requested.
- Route callers to appropriate departments.
- Provide answers to callers’ information inquiries.
- Participate in ongoing training and QA projects to stay abreast of current policies and procedures.
- Promote Chestnut’s culture of customer service excellence through the adherence to Chestnut’s behavioral standards for customer service.
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma with five (5) years’ experience working in the area of admissions or screening potential intakes for services or in behavioral health care; or a Bachelor’s degree in a helping profession or related administrative area with one year of experience in behavioral health care.
- Bachelor’s degree in counseling, psychology, social work, criminal justice or related helping field, with five (5) years of behavioral health clinical experience preferred.
- Position requires strong observation skills, good judgment, the ability to maintain professional communication and the ability to discuss sensitive information with clients.
- Experience with behavioral health assessments is preferred.
- Experience with a variety of insurance payers and the medical billing process is preferred.
- Satisfactory completion of Chestnut’s background checking process.
This full-time position includes an excellent compensation and benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, a retirement savings plan with company match, generous paid time off benefits, and more.
***For additional information and inquiries text "Chestnut" to 97211
Chestnut welcomes applications from qualified individuals with recovery experience.
EOE – Minorities/Females/Vets/Disabled