YOUNG MENS CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION RARITAN BAY AREA
Perth Amboy, NJ
The Aquatics Director plans, develops, leads, coordinates and conducts aquatics programs including teaching and coordinating swimming lessons, maintaining aquatic facilities, training aquatic staff, implementing and conducting a diversified aquatics program and performing other departmental activities as required.
The Aquatics Director also demonstrates cause driven leadership through the following YMCA Leadership Competencies-Mission Advancement; Collaboration; Operational Effectiveness andPersonal Growth; including engaging in and promoting the YMCA mission through the core values: Honesty, Caring, Responsibility and Respect.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Safeguard the lives of our members first.
- Using excellent customer service skills establish and maintain effective working relationships with all members, other staff and all visitors and constituents of the YMCA.
- Assist and Support program staff including coordinators, lifeguards, instructors, seasonal employees, and volunteers for the successful operation of the Y Aquatics center.
- Oversee the cleanliness and safety daily operations of the YMCA Aquatics facilities.
- Direct engagement of family members in aquatic classes and programs.
- Develop, implement, review and monitor program enrollment and retention goals.
- Ensure that all Aquatics staff are knowledgeable and understand the YMCA Policies, Code of Conduct, Core Values as well as Aquatics Center policies and procedures.
- Promote and provide quality swim lesson programs to members and community
- Manage and supervise assigned operations to achieve goals within available resources.
- Assure excellent development and delivery of all aquatic programs.
- Direct the patrolling of the pool and the enforcement of safety rules and regulations.
- Plan and organize workloads and staff assignments. Ensure that all programs and activities are conducted in a professional and safe manner.
- Motivate and evaluate assigned lifeguards; reviews progress and directs changes as needed.
- Provide leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans.
- Maintain proper records and prepares data for reports and recommendations related to the aquatics center.
- Ensure all budgetary goals are met. Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget, and perform cost control activities.
- Attend aquatics and risk management trainings, meetings, and certification programs as required.
- Assist with planning and implementation of yearly fund-raisers, special events and campaigns.
- Ensure routine pool maintenance at Y aquatic facilities, which includes the handling of pool chemicals and wearing and use of a respirator, standing, bending, climbing, lifting at least fifty (50) pounds, and the ability to read gauges and test kits involving color distinction.
- Follow all safety standards and personnel policies set by the YMCA.
- Develop Liaison and partnerships with area organizations that benefit the YMCA and the Aquatics program.
- Previous experience in Aquatics leadership and programming.
- A bachelor’s degree in physical education, recreation or related field strongly preferred
- Minimum of 5 years experience managing an aquatics program
- Swim Instruction Experience preferred
- Current First Aid, Lifeguard, CPO and CPR certification
- Familiarity with all emergency management guidelines and direct application
- Must be a competent and effective leader
- Proven skills in collaboration with community partners
- Must be entrepreneurial, able to understand and implement strategies to promote the Aquatics program
- Proven knowledge of aquatics safety principles, rescue techniques, lifeguarding and pool maintenance
- Ability to oversee the administration of class lesson plans and enable staff to present them.
- Ability to make and maintain contact with members, helping them to better understand our program
- Ability to create, present and follow an effective and efficient budget plan
- Skills in planning, organizing, systematizing, implementing and follow up are essential.
- Must have proven skills in problem solving and decision-making.
- Proven ability to handle with integrity confidential and sensitive information.
- Must be able to prepare reports, correspondence, meet deadlines
- Must have knowledge and experience in use of computer applications, particularly MS Excel, Word.
- Ability to lead aquatics team with excellent relationship skills
- Familiar with the culture and mission of the organization.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills required.
- Positive, friendly and polite.
- Self directed; creative.
- Ability to negotiate and manage interactions with employees, coworkers, department heads, vendors as needed.
Aquatics Area of YMCA.
60% of time spent in or around the pool deck, in the water, or standing and walking around; 40% of time, sitting at a desk, at meetings, etc.
This position is required to be performed on the Perth Amboy YMCA
premises. This is a 40 hour work week. Generally, a half hour for lunch. Schedule is modified according to departmental needs as coordinated with Supervisor.