This position is responsible for assisting the dentist(s) and the dental hygienist(s) in providing primary care dental services to patients at the clinic or in the mobile oral health unit as well as for sterilization, preparation and inventory control of dental instruments supplies, and for proper infection control of all areas involving patient care.
- Serves as dentist’s or dental hygienist’s chair-side assistant.
- Assists patients in resolving minor difficulties, answering their questions and giving directions to patients as authorized by the dentist or hygienist.
- Prepares operation procedures for patient treatment as per Dental Department protocols and the dentist’s or dental hygienist’s directions.
- Completion of dental radiographs in accordance with state regulations and law, as well as Dental Department directive’s and protocols.
- Performs independent procedures as delegated by the dentist in accordance with state regulation, law, and Department directive’s and protocols.
- Maintains all Dental Department equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s directions and Dental Department policy and protocol.
- Maintains adequate operation of supplies and compiles a list of individual item shortages for inventory control and ordering purposes.
- Maintains a list of all Dental Department patients, monitors patient flow, and assists the Dental Director, dentist(s), and dental hygienist(s), in assuring that all patient records and documents are properly and accurately completed and filed.
- Receives and places necessary telephone calls consistent with professional matters, clinic business and patient care of the Dental Department.
- Insures the sterility of all reusable dental instruments and equipment in accordance with Dental Department directive’s and protocols.
- Insures the proper disposal of all contaminated or potentially contaminated materials in accordance with Dental Department directives, clinic policy, as well as state and federal regulations.
- Participates in appropriate health promotion / disease prevention activities, both on-site and off-site as required.
- Maintains Dental Department compliance, relative to Infection Exposure Control, safety, and HIPPA as required by local, State, and Federal guidelines, Dental Department directives and protocols, and clinic policies and procedures.
- May be required to perform front office duties such as: scheduling and confirming appointments, verify insurance/ other pertinent patient eligibility, Check patients in and out, collect co-pay and balance due and manage patient flow to reduce cycle time and enhance the patient experience, etc.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED certificate required.
- Completion of accredited course in dental assisting.
- X-Ray, infection control and current CPR and First Aid certificates required.
- Bilingual: English /Spanish is required