Assistant Preschool Teacher
Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency
Traverse City, MI
ASSISTANT PRESCHOOL TEACHER
Various Locations Available
To promote school readiness by enhancing the social and cognitive development of children through the provision of educational, health, nutritional, social and other services to enrolled children and families.
- Comply with and utilize the Head Start Program Performance Standards, Head Start Act, State of Michigan Child Care Center Licensing Rules, the Early Childhood Standards of Quality for Pre-Kindergarten, GSRP Implementation Manual (GSRP funded), Great Start to Quality, Program Procedure Manual Guidance, 5 Year Grant, USDA/CACFP/MDE Requirements, and NMCAA Personnel Polices.
- Act in a manner that is conducive to the welfare of children.
- Assist in ensuring facilities are conducive to the welfare of children.
- Ensure appropriate care and supervision of children at all times.
- Assist in administering day-to-day operations.
- Assist in child assessment and in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the classroom program and child assessment.
- Assist in providing remote services when necessary, to support children and families in a home environment.
- Assist in family engagement activities.
- Be responsible for the general management of the center when the teacher is absent.
- Commitment to making progress toward program goals on an ongoing basis.
Eligibility Recruitment Selection Enrollment & Attendance
- Team with HS Recruitment and Health Specialist to recruit eligible children.
- Assist teacher in providing orientation for each newly enrolled child as assigned.
Education and Child Development
- Provide a developmentally appropriate classroom environment using the Creative Curriculum, School Readiness goals, Early Learning Framework, Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS), and Preschool Quality Assessment (PQA).
- Conduct child developmental screenings within 45 days of enrollment and GOLD assessments three times a year.
- Provide clear behavioral expectations and use effective methods to prevent and redirect behavior using Conscious Discipline guidelines.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Head Start assistants must have a CDA credential, be enrolled in a CDA credential program that will be completed within two years from the date of hire, have an associate or bachelor’s degree (in any area), or be enrolled in a program leading to such a degree.
- GSRP assistants must have an associate degree in early childhood education, child development, or the equivalent or possess a valid classroom CDA credential, or must complete requirements within two years from the date of employment if approved by the ISD.
Additional Qualifications Required:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Pass a comprehensive background check.
- Ability to meet the State of Michigan and federal health requirements (medical clearance, mental wellness, and TB examination).
- Be suitable to meet the needs of children.
For more details and to apply visit www.nmcaa.net
Position will remain Open until filled.
NMCAA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.