Beverage Manager / Sommelier
Garden of the Gods Club
Colorado Springs, CO
POSITION SUMMARY / BASIC FUNCTIONS: The Beverage Manager / Sommelier is responsible for overseeing the Beverage Program to include wine selections, beer and craft cocktails creation. Oversight of the bar and lounge performance as well as participate in wine service on dining room floors and special events. Support F & B departments and to maintain the highest level of standards and efficiency of all beverage outlets resort wide. Position will be responsible for beverage promotions, wine/cocktail training, promoting a healthy and positive working environment in addition to minimizing the employee turnover rate, and to ensure the applicable policies and procedures of the property are consistently exercised. The position will also assist with coordinating special holiday events, managing inventories. The role requires working in a progressive management environment that works to provide a consistently high-quality food and beverage service delivery model as the utmost priority in all outlets.
POSITION QUALIFICATIONS FORMAL EDUCATION, MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, TRAINING & WORK EXPERIENCE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Minimum 2-year management/supervisory experience
- College Degree preferred or hotel/restaurant training
- Extensive wine knowledge (old/new world), Court of Master Sommelier Advanced Certification Level 2 or higher
- 2+ years Luxury experience in 5 or 4-star resort, intimacy with AAA and Forbes Travel Guide service standards
- Experience within a luxury resort, club environment and fine dining establishments preferred
- Proficiency in beverage purchasing, vender relations, inventory controls, wine cellar management
- Ability to run wine tasting sessions for colleagues and guests
- Assure compliance of Colorado liquor laws
- Comprehend F&B finance models as they relate to pricing, inventory COGS, analysis and problem solving
- TIPS/ServSafe Beverage Certification desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively before groups of customers or employees.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), inventory software, payroll systems, and order processing systems.
- Deliver "I Am Proud" service standards and department-specific signature touch points.
- Establish cross-departmental channels of communication among teammates that are consistent and complete.
- Champion the resorts beverage program for all restaurants and bars, wines and wine-by-the-glass, cocktail, beer and mocktail programs
- Develop beverage pricing strategies to meet annual business plan objectives
- Prepare and delivery beverage knowledge training for restaurant teams
- Ensures compliance with all Food and Beverage policies, standards and procedures
- Foster robust relationships with beverage suppliers and vintners and distillers
- Possess a thirst to expand knowledge of all wine, beer, spirits, specialty cocktails, teas and sodas and all non-alcoholic beverages.
- Exude hospitality and a contagious sense of enthusiasm towards food and wine
- Maintain excellent communication, interpersonal, organizational, leadership skills
- Passion for delivering a high level of anticipatory service consistently to our guests
- Effective multitasker, maintain composure under pressure
- Confident, comfortable and enjoy work the dining room during service with an emphasis on accentuating the guest experience through unique, esoteric and beverage recommendations
- Maintain a high-quality level of service regarding body language, eye contact and proper verbiage and seek to positively enhance the guest experience throughout their dining experience.
- Actively involved in the operation through daily interaction with both colleagues and guests
- Be resourceful and solution oriented
- Highest level of integrity and work ethic
- Assist in the daily maintenance including organization, restocking, wine cellar, wine fridge, wine wall, and BTG Room to ensure it is current, clean and organized.
- Create and training on all BTG descriptions to restaurants, lounges and room service prior to implementation
- Assist in the planning, organization and execution of special wine events including food and wine pairings
- Work independently without direct supervision
- Work directly with guests and potential clients
- Measure beverage program performance, maintaining fresh, current beverage offerings
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Greet every guest, member, and team member with "I Am Proud" standards and set a positive tone for every interaction.
- Provide extraordinary service that is "Enriching by Nature."
- Embrace, embody, demonstrate, and encourage wellness and the STRATA virtues through interactions, performance, and commitments.
- Uphold the Garden of the Gods Resort and Club's brand, culture, vision, mission, and values.
- Be empowered to make things go right if they go wrong.
- Give the guest/member a fond farewell.
- Address feedback by utilizing the LEARN Model.
- Demonstrate a professional appearance and be attentive to what matters most.
- Comply with company policies and procedures.
- Observe and adhere to safety guidelines.
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times and maintain work area in a professional, orderly manner.
- Remain alert, courteous and helpful to the members, guests and employees at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the department.
- Interface positively with other departments, offering assistance when needed.
- Ability to work any assigned shift / work schedule.
- Respond to any reasonable task as assigned by the Owners, the President and CEO or the Resort Manager (RM).
- Reading, writing and oral proficiency in the English language.
- Work in a safe, prudent and organized manner
- Have an in-depth knowledge of food and preparation
- Willing to work a flexible schedule and holidays
- Administer beverage training classes
- Conduct and participate in monthly beverage inventory working closely with the food and beverage leaders ensuring accurate and timely counts
- Place beverage orders, effectively negotiate with venders to achieve financial goals
- Maintain a crisp, clean and healthy personal appearance
License, Registration, and / or CertificationS Required:
Valid Driver's License
Valid Commercial Driver's License
PCI-DSS Security Awareness Education (SAE) Training
Food Protection Manager Certification
Food Handler Certification
Alcohol Server / Seller Certification
POSITION ANALYSIS / SPECIFICATIONS: Physical demands and/or work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that an employee encounters and must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Pushing / Pulling
Lifting / Carrying:
10 to 25 lbs.
26 to 50 lbs.
51 to 70+ lbs.
Fine Motor Skills
Gross Motor Skills
Eye / Hand Coordination
N/A = Not Applicable
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS: Exposure to all outlets, indoors and outdoors. Environments range from well-lit to dimly-lit and the noise level is generally low to moderate but can exceed a moderate level when exposed to live music. The mechanical noise level is low to moderate. There is exposure to potentially harmful kitchen utensils as well as the potential for burns from hot food, hot china and silverware, sternos and heat lamps. Hard kitchen floors with occasional slippery or greasy areas. Outdoors, cement surfaces, with exposure to outdoor climate and elements. May occasionally be called upon to work in all areas of the property, both inside and outside, possibly in inclement weather.
Working Closely with Others
Excessive Cold / Heat
Excessive Humidity / Dampness
Noise / Vibrations
Working Above Ground
Working Below Ground
Working with Chemicals / Detergents / Cleaners
Working Around Fumes / Smoke / Gas
Walking on Uneven Surfaces
Motorized Equipment or Vehicles
Working Around Machinery / Motorized Equipment
Climbing on Scaffolds or Ladders
The Garden of the Gods RESORT AND CLUB Performance Standards:
- Practices a "Culture of Service" philosophy for both internal and external customers.
- Protect the assets of the property.
- Maintain professional appearance and behavior at all time when in contact with members, guests and fellow employees.
- Follow policies and procedures in training manuals and the Employee Handbook.
- Always remembers our partnership with our clients, fellow employees, owners and investors to provide quality service and maintain profitability.
- Establishes self-improvement goals by staying current with necessary training requirements for this position.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards established by the Garden of the Gods Resort and Club is essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Recognize that despite all efforts the company makes, the ultimate responsibility for employee health and safety rests directly with the individual. It is a condition of employment for all employees to conduct their duties in a safe and healthful manner.