Broadcast Meteorologist (Weekend)
As our Weekend Meteorologist, you will present weather information in a relevant and conversational manner for our viewers in Central Oregon, on-air and online. You will utilize scientific background and tools to deliver daily weather forecasts. You will report the weather live from a variety of locations including in studio and the field. You will be responsible for keeping weather information current and accessible to viewers, which includes forecasts, warnings, severe weather alerts, and generating graphics and maps using weather system tools across all platforms. In addition to weather presentations on the weekend, you will fill a role as a reporter or other newsroom assignment three days a week.
TDS Broadcasting LLC, a TDS company, operates KOHD-TV the ABC affiliate, KBNZ-LP the CBS affiliate, COTV11 and CO4 Visitors Network as Zolo Media, offering a wide range of viewing options for Central Oregonians.
Zolo Media provides targeted advertising solutions through a combination of local originated content, local broadcast television stations, and on BendBroadband and Crestview cable television networks. Zolo Creative Services offers award-winning video production for television spot production. Visit zolomedia.com or centraloregondaily.com.
- Utilizes scientific background and tools to deliver weather forecasts from the studio, in the field, or at community events.
- Works closely with the broadcast team, photographers and editors and producers, writing and editorial judgement for live and recorded daily content. This also includes:
- Producing concise and accurate copy and to adhering to strict deadlines.
- Checking reference materials, such as books, news files, or public records to obtain relevant facts.
- Receiving assignments and contributing to story ideas and development.
- Interviews people in a range of different circumstances. May also include the following:
- Building contacts to maintain a flow of news, for example, police and emergency services, local council, community groups, health trusts, press officers from a variety of organizations, the general public, etc;
- Seeking out and investigating stories via your contacts, press releases and other media.
- Attending press conferences and asking questions;
- Attending a variety of events, such as council meetings, sporting events, talent contests, etc;
- Answering the phones and reacting to topical stories that matter to our viewers.
- Maintains website to keep weather information relevant and current. Publishes forecasts, warnings, weather alters, and generate graphics and maps using weather system tools.
- Records/edits interviews using technical camera and computer equipment.
- Submits copy for the digital publication of all stories completed as assigned.
- Works with producers, assignment desk and managers to track current weather and ensure newsroom staff is aware of major weather events.
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) by May 2021 -OR- 4+ years professional work experience
- 1+ years’ professional or educational on-air reporting experience -OR- 1+ years' experience researching and preparing weather forecasts
- On-air experience preferred.
- Certified Broadcast Meteorologist from the American Meteorology Society preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to cover severe weather events.
As a part of your total compensation, TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. The benefit plans address both the immediate and long term needs that you and your family may have. For an overview of what we have to offer for full-time employees including vacation, health benefits and retirement options please click here.
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture, click here!