This position will be responsible for purchasing of raw materials, packaging, and other operating supplies primarily for the Madison, MS facility. This position will support other Compound manufacturing sites as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Prepare and issue Request for Quotation for requisitioned materials.
- Assist with bid comparisons where required based on forecast of product demands.
- Purchases materials for the Plant in a manner which assures that the most economical advantage to the Company has been attained.
- Assists Accounting, warehouse stores, and other departments in expediting, scheduling, contracts, specifications, and resolving purchase/billing discrepancies.
- Prepare formal inquiries, purchasing correspondence, assembles bid packages on requisition materials, services, and equipment. Assures that proper reviews and approvals in accordance with company delegation of authority (DOA) have been accomplished.
- In conjunction with the legal department and in accordance with good business practices, determines the type of contract that would be appropriate for the various services and materials requirements that are assigned to the incumbent.
- Analyze material procurement histories and assimilate data which can be used to negotiate and leverage volume buying across all Compound sites.
- Actively participate and take strong initiative in establishing cost reduction plans and cost-effective procurement and contracting strategies.
- Assists the Manager of Supply Chain in developing effective procurement policies and procedures.
- Assist in review of Raw Material Certificates of Analysis (CofAs) and ensure compliance with the plant’s raw material specifications.
- Arrange for LTL/TL/Hot Shot Shipment of raw materials as needed.
- Utilize Material Return process for material sent out, return to vendor for credit, exchange, or salvage.
- Assist in performing the duties of other Purchasing Personnel when they are absent due to illness or vacation.
- Provide inventory management support as needed at the plant.
- Back-up for plant scheduling when they are absent due to illness or vacation.
- Back-up for performing daily production posting when they are absent due to illness or vacation.
- Promotes and demonstrates the highest level of integrity and honesty in dealing with both inside and outside contacts.
- Perform duties in a manner that protects personal safety as well as the safety of all personnel on site.
- Whenever appropriate, promptly report Safety, Health or Environmental incidents or issues to management so the situation can be corrected.
- Attend Monthly Safety Meetings to help prevent off site and job accidents.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Engineering, or other Technical Field preferred. Three to five years of relevant experience required.
- Minimum of 2 years of purchasing experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated communications skills, both written and oral.
- Experience in SAP or similar ERP system required.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating contracts and rates with suppliers.
- Post graduate seminar training in contract law, the principles of purchasing management, and cost and price analysis and negotiation technique would be definite factors in the candidate’s selection.