Democracy Prep Public Schools
New York City, New York, United States, NY
About the Opportunity
The motto of Democracy Prep Public School is to Work Hard. Go to College. Change the World. Core to achieving this mission is supporting our scholars to and through the college application process. Working with our scholars, families, and school teams, the College Counselor will ensure there is a systematic, proactive, and efficient college research and application process from the beginning of our scholar’s junior year to the finalization of the college matriculation process at the end of 12th grade, ensuring 100% of seniors apply and are accepted to the best-fit four-year college or university. The College Counselor will report directly to the school’s Leadership Team.
Who You Are
- An education reformer with an unwavering commitment to the Democracy Prep mission of college success and authentic civic engagement for our scholars.
- An experienced high school counselor and/or college admissions representative who possesses an extensive knowledge of the college admissions and financial aid processes.
- A skilled writer with the ability to provide strong feedback on student work and craft exceptional student recommendations and other written communications.
- A clear communicator and enthusiastic networker with the ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders and connect students to unique programs on college campuses.
- An organized adviser who can build data-driven recommendations around the college process with the goal of college persistence for all scholars.
- A graduate of a Bachelor’s degree program.
What You’ll Do
- Usher a cohort of 12th grade scholars through each component of the college and financial aid process. This includes:
- Creating college lists that include match schools.
- Assisting students with writing and revising personal statements.
- Advising on all aspects of the financial aid process including FAFSA & CSS Profile completion, evaluating financial aid packages and helping families make financially sound matriculation decisions.
- Engage families around the nuances of the college and financial aid process through strategic communications, events and targeted workshops in order to: raise awareness about college and financial aid options and provide comprehensive application assistance.
- Teach the 12th grade College Application or 11th grade College Readiness class, including preparing curriculum lesson plans.
- Advocate for students by writing detailed letters of recommendation for all seniors and facilitating the recommendation writing process for scholars and teachers.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with college admissions officers. In addition, stay informed about the college admission landscape and continually renew knowledge about a wide range of colleges that meet the need of DPPS students.
- Manage the SAT and ACT registration process and where applicable, administer the SAT & ACT assessments.
- Maintain the DPPS College Tracker and use data to inform college decisions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary range is commensurate with your experience. Democracy Prep employees are provided with a benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, 403B matching, parental leave, tuition reimbursement, a smartphone, and a laptop.
Democracy Prep Public Schools is requiring vaccination against COVID-19 for all NY employees. All new hires joining a Democracy Prep New York Charter School must have at minimum the first dose of the vaccine and a scheduled appointment for a second appointment (for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines) in order to start employment at Democracy Prep. Proof of both must be submitted before the new hire begins employment.
Democracy Prep is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, familial status, domestic violence victim status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances. Our mission is to educate responsible citizen-scholars who will change the world. We strongly believe that by building a DREAM team that represents numerous perspectives, backgrounds, and expertises, we can achieve this goal together. This is a value we highly support and strongly encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.