Computational Biologist - In situ Analysis & Applications (P-2658)
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
About the role:
We are looking for an outstanding individual to join our Computational Biology group. You will work closely with talented biochemists, microfluidics engineers, chemists and software engineers to analyze data generated from in situ RNA and protein expression assays and to support our customers in the interpretation of experiments.
You will work at the interface between our product development teams and the initial users of our novel in situ assay. You will work with the users to analyze and assist in the interpretation of their data using cutting-edge versions of our computational tools. You will also collaborate with the product development team to ensure that they are building an assay that best addresses the needs of our customers.
You have a strong background in computational biology or bioinformatics and you have experience analyzing large-scale microscopy or insitu gene or protein expression data. You have a deep understanding of biology at the cellular and molecular level and you have a demonstrated ability to work with collaborators to derive biological insights.
You are able to communicate your ideas and work effectively with an interdisciplinary team and with valuable external customers. You are a strategic thinker, highly motivated, proactive and flexible in changing direction and methods. You thrive in a fast-paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, communicate clearly and get the job done.
What you will be doing:
- Performing analysis of complex in situ gene and protein expression experiments in collaboration with customers
- Assisting in the design of those experiments including the design of custom gene panels to address customer needs
- Working with customers to help in the interpretation of their data and to answer their biological questions
- Working with the in situ product development team to ensure that you understand the assay and analysis tools at a deep level
- Using your experience to identify ways in which the in situ assay can be developed to best address the needs of our customers
To be successful in this role, You will need:
- PhD or MS plus equivalent experience in a quantitative field (e.g. biology, bioinformatics, computational/systems biology, physics, mathematics, computer science)
- Experience working on problems involving complex biological systems at high-resolution
- Experience performing quantitative, computational analysis of microscopy data. Ideally involving in situ gene or protein expression
- Experience working with teams deriving novel biological insight from imaging datasets
- Ability to apply new computational tools to derive insight from large datasets
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas and results both internally and to customers
- Creative problem solver who obsesses over finding useful biologically relevant information in data
- Strong programming ability in a language such as Python or R
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- Ability to communicate complex ideas with an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work independently
Additional desirable skills to have:
- Experience developing products in a commercial environment
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.