Construction Superintendent Job Description
The Construction Superintendent (CS) shall establish and enforce job site safety and quality control programs to ensure a safe, timely, and high quality construction project. The Construction Superintendent shall be the Company’s Primary representative on site and liaise with the Project Team (Owner; Owner’s Rep; A/E Team; Controlled Inspectors, etc.), all Sub-Contractors and Government Officials.
Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities of Superintendent:
- Opening the jobsite at beginning of the day and securing the jobsite at the end of the day.
- Manage and Supervise Sign-in protocols for all crews
- Ensure all crews have appropriate OSHA Training Certificates
- Perform daily Site Safety Inspections using Company Checklists Identify subcontractor non-compliance with safety, health, and environmental quality standards.
- Identify and resolve any and/or all instances of non-compliance with Safety Protocols. Notify Project Executive of unresolved incidents or lack of compliance.
- Perform daily Quality Control inspections of sub-contractor crews.
- Maintain daily Job Super log of activities on the jobsite.
- Serve as Chairperson for weekly toolbox meeting with sub-trade crews- Log Meeting minutes
- Schedule subcontractors, consultants, and vendors in critical path to ensure timely completion.
- Ensure that subcontractor is fully executing and complying with his contracted scope of work.
- Schedule required Controlled Inspections and/or local jurisdictions.
- Identify conflicts in construction progress and communicate them to project team for resolution.
- Ensure subcontractor has corrected all deficiencies identified by project team.
- Issue notices of non-compliance to subcontractorsregarding quality of work or scheduling.
- Ensure that the job site is always kept in a clean and organized manner.
- Perform job progress and completion punch list identification and completion.
- Gather project material submittals and maintain records of approvals at the job-site.
- Note any deviations from Plans/Specs and maintain set of As-Built drawings
- Identify areas of work that are outside of subcontracted scope.
- Communicate with project team regarding RFI’s, Material Submittals, Issues, etc.
- CS shall liaise with Project Manager/Project Executive to receive approval/authorization on all financial transactions (subcontracts, purchase orders, change orders, invoices, etc.).
- CS shall electronically file (e-file) all pertinent documents
- CS shall supervise all company personnel assigned to the site (Laborers; mechanics; etc.)
Licensing and Certifications:
- Driver’s License
- Current NYC SST construction manager certification, and any applicable OSHA training required for construction, scaffolding, etc.
- Preferred NYC Construction Superintendent Licensing. (Those CS’s who have not yet obtained such license shall be designated “Construction Superintendent in Training”)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with General Construction protocols, work practices, and industry standards
- Provide direction to and resolve problems amongst subcontractors and vendors.
- Ability to identify deficient work and provide resolution.
- Communicate using the following tools: PC/laptop; smart phone, texts, email, computer, digital camera.
- Read, comprehend and apply Construction Plans and Specifications in the field.
- Physically able to lift up to 100 lbs.
- Endurance and ability to visit entire job site, including stairs or other elevated structures.
- Monitoring jobsite general health and safety.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity;
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Must be able to travel to the jobsite(s) as assigned.
- Education and/or Experience:
Multi-trade knowledge and experience (steel, concrete, masonry, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc).
Proficient in computer technology and Mobile Applications (Company Phone Apps; Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Project and Office, etc).
Strong communication, writing, and interpersonal skills. Must be fluent in English.