In this position, a Cook II will prepare, cook, and plate dishes in accordance to menu specifications and Chef's instructions. An aptitude to multi-task is essential! The Cook II will be assigned a specific area in the kitchen such as deep frying items, preparing fresh salads at the salad station, grilling meats, sautingvegetables, and more. They will be responsible for maintaining a clean and safe cooking environment, and always be ready & willing to take on culinary tasks as they arise. Strong candidates must be ready to work in a high pressure, fast paced environment, while always keeping the Company's high standards of quality, cleanliness, and efficiency in mind. This position requires physical endurance, as well as mental determination in order to meet the standards of the restaurant and ensure guest satisfaction. This individual will report to the Executive Chef and will play a key role in driving the company's high-volume needs and expectations. Our Cook II will also execute exceptional customer service skills to all applicable company associates.They are expected to uphold Ballast Point's Code of Conduct, Employee Handbook, Mission, and Values in every aspect of their duties.
- Cook and assemble specific portions of menu items as assigned by the Executive, Sous, or Lead Chef, meeting specifications, and exercising appropriate attention to detail as far as quality and quantities needed during business hours.
- Demonstrate proficiency with basic line cooking skills including grilling, deep frying, roasting, searing, salad station,etc.
- Possess the ability to work two or more stations, and in any capacity on the line at any given time.
- Assist with delivery and storage of inventory, as needed, rotating product using the FIFO (first-in, first-out) method.
- Ability to keep pace with other cooks, so that all food is ready for each plate at the same time.
- Willingness to step in to help fellow team members who may be running behind.
- Support the Executive and Sous Chef with special event and banquet food orders.
- Properly label and date all products to ensure safekeeping and sanitation standards.
- Pitches in, along with the rest of the staff, to maintain sanitary conditions and organization in the kitchen.
- Conducts and champions a safe and sanitary work environment when food handling throughout all tasks
- Conducts and champions a safe and sanitary work environment when chemical handling throughout all tasks
- Support the Kitchen Team with development, testing, and implementing new recipes, such as Daily Specials.
- Communicate promptly and clearly with Lead Cooks and Kitchen Managementregarding product concerns and outages.
- Participates in cleaning the rest of the kitchen and proper equipment procedures before the restaurant closes for the night.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to peers, managers, vendors, consumers and other applicable company associates
- Ability to work days, nights, weekends, holidays and alternative work weeks
- Ability to work at least 8 hours daily
- 1 -2 years in previous cooking background in a restaurant environment.
- Ability to speak, read, and execute menu recipes.
- Must be a team player who can maintain a positive, professional approach with team members and customers.
- Ability to work well following verbal instructions, be an active listener, recall and complete tasks given spoken commands.
- Patience, perseverance, and tact are required in dealing with high-demand, high-stress moments.
- An unwavering desire to be BP Proud, with a positive, can-do attitude!
- Culinary school background is preferred.
- A working knowledge of restaurant best practices and comprehension of a variety of cooking techniques.
- An eagerness and passion to learn new tasks and reach new levels in the kitchen environment.
- The ability to make quick decisions and prioritize multiple tasks is essential.
- SERV Safe Certification is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will always be conscious of their surroundings and actions to avoid any type of hazards.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- This job operates in a kitchen environment, housed with equipment such as an oven, stove, dishwasher, slicer, coffee machine, steamer, mixer and chef's knives. The employee is frequently exposed to heat, steam, fire and noise. Makes frequent, short trips to refrigerator, freezer, and storage areas.
- This position requires working taste buds and manual dexterity (the ability to smell, feel with fingers, and visually inspect food items).
- Ability to use arms, hands, and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, season, garnish, etc.
- May occasionally lift, push, pull, reach for, and move items weighing 50 lbs. or more.
- Kitchen flooring may become slippery from moisture and grease; this job requires constant attention to hazards and safety concerns.
- Must be able to take out trash,move,and unload inventory in an industrial setting where heavy moving machinery, forklift traffic, loud noises, textured floors and chemical hazardsare present.
- Please note this Job Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.