SAGE Publications, Inc.
United States, UNAVAILABLE
Corporate Counsel will be responsible for providing legal advice and compliance and contracts support for various business units of SAGE and its division, Corwin Press. Areas of support may include advising on contract review and advising personnel in business units across the company, including IT, Publishing Technology, Sales, Marketing, Editorial, Production, and other departments. Knowledge of information technology, data privacy, data security, publishing transactions, licensing, accessibility, and regulatory compliance is particularly desired. Proficiency with creating and maintaining contract templates and training materials, managing staff, and the flexibility to provide assistance with additional matters, as needed, are key attributes of the position.
Essential Job Functions & Responsibilities
The primary functions of the Corporate Counsel position include the following:
- Review, negotiate, draft, and revise a broad range of contracts in support of the business’s objectives while assessing and informing the business on risk. Supported divisions may include IT, Publishing Technology, Sales, Marketing, Editorial, and Production, with a focus on sales, distribution, and subscription contracts, licensing contracts, and vendor/platform and software contracts.
- Review and advise on intellectual property and compliance issues that may be directed to the position. Areas of support may include accessibility, data privacy and data security including GDPR, CCPA, FERPA, and other applicable legislation to ensure appropriate compliance by, and protection of, the organization.
- Prepare references and tools for use by clients to assist them in working independently whenever possible in relation to contracts and other matters while effectively managing risk, such as contract checklists and tools, templates, and training materials.
- Counsel internal clients (editorial staff and operations departments) in a collaborative manner that encourages open discussion and the exchange of information.
- Work with in-house Contracts Management Database and other databases.
- Research and interpret laws, regulations, case laws, and rulings and advise on effective company compliance as needed.
- Draft and revise correspondence to internal clients, vendors, business partners and adverse parties in relation to legal issues as needed.
- Participation in support of SAGE’s Cultural Initiatives including Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Lean Principles, Continuous Feedback, and others.
- Assistance with due diligence for acquisitions, litigation management, and other projects as needed.
- Provide support on other matters as assigned by the Global Vice President, Legal & General Counsel and Senior Corporate Counsel, including as requested, serving as liaison with outside counsel on issues requiring specialty review or advice.
- Supervise, mentor, and empower staff that may report into this position.
Qualifications & Education
Include, but not limited to, the following:
- Juris Doctor degree and license to practice law within the State of California (or qualification as registered in-house counsel).
- At least 5 years of active experience in applicable areas in a corporate legal department and/or law firm in a role supporting applicable areas, with a desire to grow and learn new areas that will assist the organization.
- Ability to translate contract terms and communicate in clear, concise written terms appropriate for the intended audience.
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to supervise a small staff of employees.
- High level of competence in legal research tools and proficiency with business software including MS Word (redlining).
- Ability to read, analyze, and appropriately interpret legal documents in practical terms.
Language, analytical skills and specifications
Language skills, reasoning ability and analytical aptitude are mental demands that are not only learned mental skills, but also conditions that call for mental focus.
- Resourceful in seeking out appropriate references and advice to resolve matters.
- Having emotional intelligence to optimally work with business partners at all levels of the organization as well as external parties.
- Comfortable adjusting work priorities and assisting with other areas of the department as may be needed in the interest of the overall department and company.
- Effective listening, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Ability to retain a problem-solving focus and recommend thoughtful, creative solutions.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and effectively multi-task.
SAGE U.S. Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Charter
SAGE Publishing is committed to being an inclusive employer where all individuals are treated with fairness and respect, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and partnership status, pregnancy and parental responsibilities, race, religion and belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
We believe that diversity is a cornerstone of a vibrant culture. We want SAGE to be an organization where the most talented staff and high-potential staff are recruited, have the opportunity to grow, and want to work. We strive to achieve a better representation of diverse talent at all levels, including leadership, across our workforce.