30+ days ago
Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we’re seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.Job Description
Provides transactional legal support to the Research and Development organizations and other departments in conjunction with senior members of the Legal team.Qualifications
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of contracts in support of the Research and Development organizations (which may include: confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, materials transfer agreements, sponsored research agreements, license agreements, simple and complex clinical trial agreements, clinical advisory board agreements, and various vendor services agreements and master agreements).
• Review and provide input regarding clinical trial-related documents, such as informed consent forms and privacy documents, and serve as an internal legal resource to the discovery, development and clinical teams.
• Advise and troubleshoot on existing agreements and operational arrangements.
• Identify and define operational and legal risks and be able to communicate those risks to appropriate internal decision-makers for discussion and resolution.
• Interact with internal clients efficiently and effectively to address legal and business questions.
• Interface with clinical research organizations, hospitals and universities to facilitate clinical trials.
• Interface with research institutions and research vendors to facilitate materials transfers and sponsored research.
• Interface with discovery and development vendors to facilitate master services agreements and task orders.
• Advise contracts managers on their own work related to the above contract types.
• Handle miscellaneous legal tasks on an as needed basis under direction of senior attorneys.
• BS/BA degree, preferably in life sciences or a related field.
• JD degree required and must be admitted to practice, preferably in California.
• Typically requires 3-5 years of experience as an attorney in a law firm or in-house legal environment in the biotechnology or pharmaceuticals industry.
• Contract drafting and negotiation experience required.
• Clinical trial contract drafting and negotiation experience or research contract drafting and negotiation experience is desired.
• Possesses clear and concise verbal and written communication skills and must have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), Litera, and Contract Management Systems).
• Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and with the ability to re-prioritize on short time frames.
• Acts responsibly and conscientiously.
• Works under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
• Works independently and in a team environment.
• Dedicated to quality, reliability, and highest professional standards in all work tasks.
• Must be a self-starter and quick learner.
• Must have good judgment.
• Implements organizational or team objectives and interprets company policies.
• Helps guide the successful completion of major programs, projects and/or functions.
• Aids in the development technical and/or business solutions to complex problems in creative and effective ways.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.