The Corporate Counsel will be directly involved in business transactions with primary focus on drafting and negotiating all nature of contracts, including among others, sales, purchasing, marketing, licensing, leasing, and employment contracts. Responsibilities also include international entity management, legal analysis, and risk assessment of global business operations. This will include coordinating with internal stakeholders; negotiating with vendors and customers; conferring with outside legal counsel; and providing input on strategy for business and legal issues. Additional experience in at least one of the following areas is preferred: global data privacy law; employment law; software licensing and related IT fields; general corporate, including mergers and acquisitions. This position will report to Senior Corporate Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft clear, concise, and legally sound agreements for a variety of commercial and business relationships
- Prepare, analyst, and review a variety of contracts with vendors, customers, and other third parties (examples include NDAs, Supply Agreements, MSAs, Consulting Agreements, Software License Agreements, POs, Lease Agreements, etc.)
- Negotiate contracts, alongside business personnel, under swift time constraints while meeting deadlines
- Analyze, develop, and implement contract and legal strategies, and drive process improvements to achieve Company goals and objectives and increase efficiency
- Support business leadership, as well as other members of the legal department, with legal and regulatory advice and assist on various business transactions
- Provide support on corporate and litigation matters as appropriate
- Perform comprehensive legal analysis of contract and project matters as assigned
- Ensure the Company and other parties comply with contractual commitments
- Advise business personnel in a way that ensures compliance with rules and regulations
- Manage assigned projects to ensure timely completion and performance of Company commitments and obligations.
- Research and analyze the law on complex issues to support business/legal decisions.
- Assist in the development of policies and practices based on federal, state and local legal requirements.
- Prepare responses to inquiries from regulatory agencies and other applicable parties.
- Stay current on legal and regulatory issues affecting the Company and the industry.
- Collaborate on various legal, business, and administrative functions as needed by the General Counsel and the legal department generally.
- Assist with the managing of outside legal counsel, as needed for litigation and corporate transactional issues.
- Depending on background, responsibilities may include:
- Assist HR department with routine domestic and international employment law matters.
- Developing legal strategy and drafting documents for a variety of software licensing and delivery business models.
- Assist with capital markets transactions, mergers & acquisitions and other strategic transactions, corporate governance and corporate counseling.
- Other projects and assignments may result and be assigned to accommodate the changing needs of the department and the Company.
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school required
- Must be fully licensed, in good standing, to practice law
- 2-5 years of applicable legal experience is required, either with reputable law firm or in-house.
- High level of proficiency in legal drafting required
- Keen attention to detail is a must
- Robust knowledge and understanding of contract law, principles, and best practices
- High level of professional ability to identify business and contract issues, perform research and analysis, and develop and implement strategies for addressing such issues is required.
- Ability to extract and organize data associated with contracts and legal issues, including financial data, to thoroughly develop and present risk analysis, accurately address management inquiries, etc.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws.
- Ability to analyze case law and provide recommendations.
- Proven ability to be hands on and productive within a heavy workload environment.
- Proven track record of successfully managing risk.
- Equipment/Software Skills: General working knowledge of use of PC software packages including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet-based legal research tools.
- Travel is not a routine part of this position. However, the ability to travel both domestically and internationally is required.
- It takes people to connect with people. At, ADTRAN we hire the best and brightest individuals who share our passion for meeting customer expectations the first time, every time. Employment is based not only on professional qualifications but also on the character and personal attributes we deem essential for the continued growth and success of the company. ADTRAN adheres to the highest ethical standards. This bar is set by our leadership and strengthened by our employees. Our employees are truly our most valued resource and are the reason for the company's continued success.
For more than three decades, ADTRAN has been a leader in the telecommunications industry. We are enabling communities and connecting lives as we equip service providers around the globe to deliver Gigabit broadband. These services are transforming the way people live, work and play. As an innovator, the company is also focused on the future. We are defining the future network with cloud-based software solutions developed with an open, scalable and programmable approach.
We invite you to explore our current job opportunities and apply for those you deem fit your skills and qualifications.
ADTRAN is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disabilities, age, protected military or veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by federal, state or local laws.
Thank you for your interest in ADTRAN careers.