CYBER SECURITY ANALYST - SIGNATURE WRITER (JBSA-20-1913-W):
Bowhead seeks a Cyber Security Analyst - Signature Writer to support the AFCERT DCO HAC contract in San Antonio, TX.
The Host Signature Writer manages all host computer security signature sets at the Tier 1 AFIN level for all enterprise Air Force workstations and servers. The signature team evaluates and reviews DISA, McAfee and custom AFCERT signatures for NIPR and SIPR network computer systems before releasing them as polices to the Master Repositories for the Network Operations Squadrons (NOS). The team will release new or modified host signatures as directed from Cyber Task Orders. Additionally, the team continuously reviews and evaluates incident logs, false positive signatures, and various Intel computer incident reports.
The candidate will Analyze, interpret, and utilize Regular Expressions, YARA, and Snort-like capabilities in the creation of custom signature sets.
• Develop and document IPS/IDS SOPs.
• Investigate intrusion events, host files, network files, and memory, to dissect and extrapolate information necessary for the development of custom signatures.
• Analyze deployed signatures to reduce false positive rate and perform signature maintenance.
• Create, modify, and manage, Security Orchestration and Automation workflows for operational use and execution.
• Automate tasks using a common programming or scripting language.
• Utilize Linux systems, UNIX/Linux shell scripting (bash), Python, PowerShell.
• Develop, Test, Deploy, and Manage signatures, rules and filters for capabilities such as; IDS, IPS, firewall, web application firewall, proxy and SIEM systems.
• Migrate, tune, and document existing and future AF signatures / detections to new tools and systems as they become available.
• Automate processes and procedures using scripts and SQL / database administration
• Maintain currency on latest industry trends and provide operational reports/assessments for development of tactics, techniques, and procedures.
• Create, document, and report metrics for analysis to improve weapon system processes and mission execution.
Bowhead seeks to network with qualified individuals relative to a potential opportunity, which is contingent upon award and not currently funded. Please click the link at the bottom of this posting to apply for consideration. Incumbent employees are encouraged to respond. No solicitations or third party applications will be accepted.
• BS Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Systems Engineering or related degree preferred
• More than three (3) years of experience implementing signatures on Host based Intrusion Protection System (HIPS) devices.
• Proficient in PowerShell with more than one (1) year of experience.
• Extensive knowledge of Windows internals.
• Extensive knowledge of MITRE ATT&CK framework, and its uses within the cybersecurity community (e.g., Open Source projects).
• More than three years of experience using Regular Expressions, YARA, and Snort-equivalent to create custom IPS/IDS signatures
• More than five (5) years of experience implementing behavior-based (heuristic and anomaly-based) signatures on IDS/IPS/Host based Intrusion Protection System (HIPS) devices on AF approved devices as well as DISA’s Joint Regional Security Stacks (JRSS).
• Proficient in Python and PowerShell.
• IAT Level III CND compliance.
• GCFA or GCFE.
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIRED: Must currently hold a security clearance at the Top Secret/SCI level. US Citizenship is a requirement for Top Secret clearance at this location.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.
UIC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. In furtherance, pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UIC and its subsidiaries may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants, based on the provisions contained within The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
All candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit a completed application for all positions they wish to be considered. Once the employment application has been completed and submitted, any changes to the application after submission may not be reviewed. Please contact a UIC HR Recruiter if you have made a significant change to your application. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC Human Resources for assistance (https://uicalaska.com/careers/recruitment/).
UIC Government Services (UICGS / Bowhead) provides innovative business solutions to federal and commercial customers in the areas of engineering, maintenance services, information technology, program support, logistics/base support, and procurement. Collectively, the fast-growing Bowhead Family of Companies offers a breadth of services which are performed with a focus on quality results. Headquartered in Springfield, VA, we are a fast-growing, multi-million-dollar corporation recognized as one of the top 25 8(a) companies for government contracting.
Bowhead offers competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, short/long-term disability, and 401(k) retirement plans as well as a paid time off programs for eligible full-time employees. Eligible part-time employees are able to participate in the 401(k) retirement plans and state or contract required paid time off programs.
Link to Apply: