What You Will Be Doing:
As a Data Engineer I, you will be leading the effort to develop, enhance, and support existing and new data pipelines, data ingestions, data storage, and traditional Data-warehouse/BI systems across medium and large sized projects concurrently. You will support our software developers, database architects, data analysts and data scientists on vital initiatives and ensure optimal data delivery architecture consistent throughout ongoing projects. You will have the opportunity to influence our data and analytics roadmap by constant interactions with various business and technology teams. You will lead the design of vital components and suggest/implement new frameworks and tools based on industry and technological trends and advances. You will also consult with process owners in reviewing, interpreting & developing systems in accordance with user requirements and ensuring code quality through proper documentation, best practices, and code reviews. Working in our collaborative environment, you will further develop your skills while also acting as a mentor and technical guide to other associate data engineers.
- Be the primary contact and lead support associate for multiple critical projects/data pipelines and integrations and resolve customer issues in a timely manner
- Collaborate with technical/business leaders, product owners, software engineers, data architects and data analysts to acquire and understand requirements / acceptance criteria
- Participate in defining Data Engineering Process and Technology strategies
- Provide day-to-day task leadership and project reviews
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Produce deliverables for medium to large sized projects with clean, well-documented and easily maintainable code that adheres to defined coding standards
- Design and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build and leverage the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources both on premise and cloud
- Partner with cross functional teams to build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into key business performance metrics
- Participate in building data security and data governance guidelines
- Ensure solution is sustainable across implementation and use, troubleshooting and analyzing open issues and bug-fixes and ensuring on-time delivery and hand-offs
- Communicate status and issues to team members and stakeholders
- Participate in Design and Deploy Tollgate reviews and gain buy in from cross-functional teams including QA, Architect, Security, Webmaster and Operations
- Contribute and Influence the discovery and decision-making process when changes to standards and technology are required (tools, conventions and design patterns)
- Assign projects and review deliverables from onshore and offshore software engineers
- Provide constructive input to department management regarding team members assigned to project
- Conduct new hire interviews
- Design and manage models to handle large datasets of existing structured and unstructured data
- Research and discover new methods to acquire data, and new applications for existing data
- Stay current with rapidly developing Data Engineering landscape and share knowledge internally and with customers
- Create recommendations for increasing data utilization based on understanding of data delivery environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or equivalent years of software development experience required
- 8+ years of overall technology experience required
- 4+ years’ experience of Data Engineering, Data Modeling, and Data Warehousing required
- 1+ years’ experience working with Agile teams preferred
- Expertise in the full data projects lifecycle
- Expertise with Data Engineering tools such as Talend, BODS and Big Data Technologies.
- Expertise in building data pipelines, data ingestions, data integrations, data preparations, and traditional Data warehouses and DataMarts
- Expertise in designing, validating and implementing multiple projects across the hybrid infrastructure (On-cloud to On-Premise and vice versa)
- Experience with any cloud platforms, preferably AWS
- Experience with streaming technologies, preferably Kafka
- Experience with big data technologies, preferably Spark
- Strong experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases
- Strong analytic skills related to working with complex datasets
- Some experience with visualization tools such as Qlikview, Qliksense, Tableau, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of appropriate design frameworks and patterns and experience in implementing them
- Knowledge of industry wide technology strategies and best practices
- Understanding of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores
- Solid written and oral communication skills; ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- Regular, predictable, full attendance is an essential function of the job
- Willingness to travel as necessary, work the required schedule, work at the specific location required, complete Penske employment application, submit to a background investigation (to include past employment, education, and criminal history) and drug screening are required.
-The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
-The associate will be required to: read; communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze certain information; and remember and understand certain instructions or guidelines.
-While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be required to stand, walk, and sit. The associate is frequently required to use hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The associate must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25lbs/12kg.
-Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Penske is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Penske Truck Leasing
Penske Truck Leasing Co., L.P., headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania, is a partnership of Penske Corporation, Penske Automotive Group and Mitsui & Co., Ltd. A leading global transportation services provider, Penske operates a premier fleet of vehicles and serves its customers from locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Penske’s product lines include full-service truck leasing, contract maintenance, commercial and consumer truck rentals, used truck sales, transportation and warehousing management and supply chain management solutions. Visit www.GoPenske.com to learn more.