Data Network Technician
Job Title:Data Network Technician
Location: Forsyth, MT
Normal Hours M-F; 8-5
Department:IT FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Supervisor: IT Supervisor- Forsyth
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Provides technical support for the companies’ broadband data networks up to ISP transport equipment as well as customer communications and data networks, including Company broadband operations, customer owned LAN/WAN and personal computers and devices. Installs, programs, monitors, troubleshoots, and repairs all Company broadband transmission equipment and customer broadband data communications lines and equipment. Assist with maintaining records on Plant and Data. Assist IT Department with corporate network (LAN/WAN) installation, provisioning, and troubleshooting needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical support for customer Internet problems including, but not limited to, broadband, wireless, email, and webhosting.
- Assist IT Dept with corporate network (LAN/WAN) installation, provisioning, and troubleshooting needs.
- Install, configure, administer, and troubleshoot existing fiber optic, copper, and wireless infrastructure, and a variety of communications and data network equipment
- Read technical manuals and brochures to determine equipment needs that meet Company and customer broadband requirements
- Research, test, evaluate, and analyze network equipment. Recommend hardware and/or software for new broadband services and/or network upgrade improvements.
- Monitor Company broadband network and system performance and act to isolate/repair network problems
- Monitor alarm network including, but not limited to, DPS, Calix CMS, and SolarWinds
- Maintain Network Maps, Solar Winds, and Visio
- Coordinate with affiliated company personnel and contractors as required for the installation and deployment of TCP/IP network systems and applications
- May Assist in the installation of telecommunications key and PBX systems and related communications hardware and data equipment to support company services
- Assist other departments as needed
- Must work effectively as a team player.
- Perform all other related job duties assigned by management.*
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of concepts, principles and safety practices of communications transmission and data equipment
- Knowledge of standards for equipment performance (UL, FCC, NEBS, Telcordia).
- Knowledge of national and local installation standards and electrical codes.
- Knowledge of communications protocol (TCP/IP, SIP, DHCP).
- Knowledge of company products and services.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Skill in operating various types of office equipment such as personal computer, various software programs, and telephone systems.
- Skill in problem identification and resolution.
- Ability to install, maintain, and repair routers, data network switches, component parts, unlicensed wireless systems, software systems, and cable infrastructure effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to troubleshoot and conduct tests, using various testing devices and specialized electronic equipment.
- Ability to successfully interact with other company departments in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written communication.
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple work assignments.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Ability to make sound decisions using information at hand.
- Ability to maintain good customer relations and communication skills.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an associate degree in electronics, information technology, or related field (a minimum of two years of additional appropriate related experience may be substituted for each year of education). Previous experience with one or more of the following is desired: IT, LAN/WAN data networking, ISP, IP based and voice/data switching systems, telephone key systems & PBX installations. CCNA Certification preferred, but not required.
- A valid Driver’s License is required