Since 1946, more than 1.5 million youth and adults have been exposed to the gospel of Jesus Christ at Hume Lake Christian Camps. Our camp and retreat centers are interdenominational, year-round camping ministries dedicated to the glory of God. We are committed to sharing a clear presentation of the gospel and giving guests an opportunity to respond. Our camps extend from the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts to the Sequoia National Forest, and the San Bernardino Mountains of Southern California.
JOB TITLE: DAY CAMP COUNSELOR
REPORTS TO: Program Assistant
FLSA STATUS: Seasonal Salary or Hourly
BENEFITS: Bi-weekly pay (less room and board)
NOTES: 16 Openings; Must be 18-years old by the start of Staff Orientation
We want our staff to enjoy camp and welcome you to participate in the activities and chapels that we offer when you are not assigned work. All staff work a 5 or 6-day week with 1 or 2 days off per week.
To promote the Gospel of Jesus Christ by safely providing quality care and instruction to young children. Responsible for delivering a quality and loving childcare program as a ministry to parents attending any of Hume’s many activities and ministry opportunities. The Day Camp Program provides fun activities for campers to experience the love of God through songs, games, lessons, crafts, and so much more.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Show respect to campers, guests, peers, staff, and self
- Serve as a positive role model, show enthusiasm and display a positive attitude
- Be a witness for Jesus Christ in all words and actions, sharing Christ’s love with the public, campers, and staff.
- Teach age-appropriate lessons, games, and crafts that facilitates the spiritual growth of children
- Create a safe environment for kids to connect with role models, make new friends, and have fun
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Participate in staff training which will be anywhere from 6-12 days in length
- Ability to be on-site while camp programs are in session
- Has a sincere love for the Lord and a desire to see campers come to know and grow in Him
- Agreement with the theological positions, philosophy, and policies of HLCC
- Able to fulfill Hume Lake Christian Camp’s purpose and core values
- Positive formal and informal performance reviews
- Experience working with and teaching nursery and elementary age children
- Able to teach, care for, and discipline young children
- Communicates effectively with parents
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- You will be required to live on-site during the camp session. Experience working with youth and adults from diverse backgrounds, working as a team as well as independently.
- Physical requirements include bending, lifting, sitting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, running, and possibly swimming. Hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and normal range of eyesight and hearing required to communicate with staff and manipulate camp equipment. Must operate with daily exposure to the cold, heat, rain, sun, and varying other weather conditions, as well as under irregular working hours in a camp environment. Able to lift 25-50 pounds.
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or skills required by the individual holding this position. From time to time, as needed, all staff may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities.
- Position descriptions are not intended as an do not create employment contacts. This position is at-will employment, meaning that either the employee or Hume Lake Christian Camps, Inc. can discontinue employment at any time, with or without notice and with or without cause.
- Hume Lake Christian Camps is both an equal opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. We conduct hiring without regard of race, color, sex, age, national origin, handicap, or veteran status.
- In accordance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a)) Hume Lake Christian Camps, Inc. has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with Hume Lake Christian Camps Statement of Belief. (For more information visit https://hume.org/about/)