Deaf Ed. Interpreter, Spring 2022
Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District
SPECIAL EDUCATION DEPARTMENT Houston, TX
1. Proof of high school diploma or GED equivalency.
2. Associate's degree or 60 or more credit hours from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Associate's degree related to interpreting or in the field of Deafness preferred.
3. Certificate in Interpreting issued by either the Board of Evaluation of Interpreters or the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf. Out of state certification will be considered with the stipulation that Texas or RID certification is acquired within one year.
4. Experience in working with children.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
$34,789 – IP8
Additional stipend based upon level of certification Level I or Basic- $2,500, Level II, CI/CT, SC, IC/TC, NIC- $3,500, Level III or Advanced (BEI or NIC)-$4,500
Salary Range (based on experience) as set by the Board of Trustees for the school year 2021-2022
1. Interpret/transliterate according to the specifications of the student's Individualized Education Program (IEP).
2. Be informed, monitor and report to the deaf education case manager or cooperating teacher when concerns arise about the student's accommodations and/or modifications as approved by the Individualized Education Program committee (IEP).
3. Demonstrate professionalism in all ethical areas, including student confidentiality.
4. Interact in a professional manner with administrators, teachers, staff, students, visitors or individuals unfamiliar with the educational setting.
5. Become and remain well-versed in course material in order to demonstrate competency in the interpreting/or transliterating and in class support process.
6. Interact in a professional manner with administrators, teachers, staff, students, substitutes, visitors or individuals unfamiliar with the educational setting.
7. Provide in class support according to the specifications of the student's Individualized Education Program (IEP). (i.e. small group instruction, individual tutoring, signed/oral administration) or as requested by the teacher in the classroom.
8. Assist in providing general supervision to students with hearing impairment (i.e. playground, lunchroom, bus loading/unloading, escorting students during transition periods, toileting).
9. Demonstrate flexibility when role shifts take place.
10. Demonstrate understanding of assignment qualifications.
11. Participate in continuing professional growth as required by the certification governing body (Board for Evaluation of Interpreters- BEI). Provide appropriate professional growth and certification documents upon request in a timely manner.
12. Perform other duties as assigned by the teacher, principal, A.I. Specialist, and/or Coordinator of the NWHCC or as determined by specific area of assignment.
13. Regular and reliable attendance is an essential job function.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Repetitive hand motion. Maintain emotional control under stress. Occasional stooping, bending, and moderate lifting (15-44 pounds). Exposure to extreme heat and humidity.
Coordinator of Deaf Education
DEADLINE TO APPLY:
Applications accepted year round
Applying for this posting places your name in a pool of applicants who wish to be considered for a Interpreter Intern position as they become available in the district
Applications will be reviewed however, Not all applicants will be interviewed
Hiring Managers may choose to email you regarding this application. Please monitor your email regularly for any communication.