About the role
This position provides strategic direction and leadership to the development and implementation, and continuous process improvement, of the manufacturing processes. Identifies and implements technological improvements to manufacturing operations through a team of manufacturing engineers and thereby reduce the overall manufacturing cost and maximize profit to the company. Manages manufacturing engineers related to the design, integration and maintenance of manufacturing equipment and systems. Manages Design Engineering, Repairs and Facilities Departments supporting functions to develop new or revised products and processes to meet product function, markets, and performance requirements. Ensures the engineering team and other manufacturing departments work together cohesively to attain specific objective and goals. #CB
What you will do
- Directly supervises the teams of Manufacturing Engineers, Design Engineers, Repairs, Facilities and assigned staff.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs activities of the Engineering team in support of existing products and the introduction of new products
- Prioritizes and delegates daily workload for the Engineering Team. Balances team’s short-term and long-term, and shop-support responsibilities
- Manages projects and conducts project reviews as needed to ensure successful and timely completion of projects
- Interacts with Product Engineering, Operations, Sales and business teams to ensure design for manufacturing ability of new products. Participates in design review process.
- Determines cause and corrective actions to resolve issues involving noncompliant product or material. Assists others in root cause and failure analysis as required.*
- Develops and maintains robust, cost efficient manufacturing processes and product structures consistent with lean manufacturing practices. *
- Introduces innovative equipment and processes to the operation. *
- Confers with vendors, perform due diligence, provide financial justification, purchase, plan, and install new manufacturing equipment for the plant. Manage capital investment budget *
- Maintains and ensures optimal plant layout. Provide layout change recommendations when necessary
- Promotes culture of continuous improvement and understands lean manufacturing techniques.
- Acts as manufacturing liaison for products from inception through shipment to customer.
- Insures the equipment and systems adhere to safety requirements, as well as local, state and federal industry regulations. *
- Participates in long-term planning activities such as budget planning, project work, capital projects and staff utilization
- Leads improvement efforts in productivity, safety, machine capabilities, quality and efficiency
- Creates and maintains BOMs and routers following accepted standards and ensuring a high degree of accuracy.
- Participates as a member of the product development team; interacts with cross-functional teams in various projects.
- Requisitions components and supplies for engineering projects, interacting with vendors to obtain price and product information.
- Performs manufacturability studies on new product designs
- Other duties as assigned.
What we are looking for
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical, industrial or manufacturing engineering, or equivalent experience and electrical engineering background.
- Ten (10) years of leadership and/or management experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience in a production environment, which involves metal forming, machining, metal finishing, heat treatment and automation systems
- Strong background in machining and assembly
- Ability to manage large-scale engineering projects
- Ability to manage multiple priorities accurately, effectively and efficiently
- Proven competence of hiring, training and managing high quality individual contributors and engineering managers
- Ability to create and refine a shared vision across key stakeholders through developing relationships and clear and timely communication.
- Common sense approach to production problems and ability to implement change when necessary
- Strong leadership skills and experience building high-performance teams
- Strong interpersonal skills to deal with all types of employees
- Good technical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Read and interpret drawings and specifications
- Six Sigma Certified or have completed Green Belt Projects preferred
- Solidworks experience preferred
Who we are
At Cantel, preventing infection is our business. As a leading provider of infection prevention products and services in the healthcare market, we are dedicated to delivering high-quality, innovative solutions that improve outcomes and help save lives. We accomplish this mission by delivering our products through the following operating units:
Medical: Endoscopy procedure disposables include single-use valves and irrigation tubing. The medical device reprocessing systems, disinfectants, detergents we manufacture and distribute are used to disinfect high-level endoscopes.
Life Sciences: Water purification systems for dialysis facilities. We work with leading dialysis caregivers, delivering hemodialysis dialyzers and reprocessing systems, as well as sterilants and filtration products.
Dental: Single-use, infection prevention products used primarily in the dental market (face masks, sterilization pouches, towels and bibs, tray covers, saliva ejectors, germicidal wipes, plastic cups and disinfectants).
Cantel employees are inspired to improve the lives of patients, caregivers and healthcare providers. If you are looking for a company driven by an entrepreneurial spirit and have the passion to shape the future of infection prevention, we want to meet you. Join us and see why people love working here.