Entrepreneurial Spirit, Rooted in Tradition. At Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma America, Inc. (MTPA), we can tout a storied reputation more than 300 years in the making. Our parent company, Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation, is a research-driven pharmaceutical company with global reach – and one of Japan’s oldest and most respected companies.
With the recent FDA approval and availability in the U.S. of RADICAVA® (edaravone) MTPA is rapidly expanding our operation across all functional areas to launch this new product in the U.S. market. Concurrently, the company is expanding its research efforts and exploring collaborations with partners to discover and bring treatments to market for unmet medical needs including orphan diseases. We currently seek motivated professionals who share our vision of scientific excellence, innovation, and unwavering dedication to improving the lives of patients.
The Director, National Sales will establish and execute a plan to meet and exceed sales expectations of edaravone (MCI-186), an innovative solution approved in Japan and granted Orphan Drug status by the FDA for patients suffering from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), and for future launch brands and product acquisitions. As part of a commercial organization, the incumbent will play a critical role in shaping the sales function and strategy.
The Director, National Sales will hire, develop and lead the field sales organization and will work effectively within the broader team to ensure seamless alignment and execution of the broader organization goals and launch plan objectives.
The position will require 50% – 60% travel and must be based within 1 hour of a major airport.
- Develops, leads and executes a strategic launch plan with specific goals and targets. Collaborates with other key players to capture broad perspectives and ensure a cohesive approach.
- Recruit/build and manage a highly effective and motivated team of sales specialists and ensure that Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma America is recognized as among the industry’s best.
- Creates a high-performance team environment based on alignment with a common values and vision based on a foundation of trust and respect.
- Fosters ownership and accountability to achieving or exceeding individual and company goals and establishes open and honest communication with subordinates, peers, supervisor and senior leadership.
- Effectively coaches competencies of individual team members and applies appropriate coaching styles to develop “industry best in class” selling and account management skills and flawless execution of launch plan.
- Executes a coaching continuum plan for every field work session consistently concluding with a written Field Coaching Report which accurately and clearly communicates observed competency strengths and areas of development, business goals, drivers of success, opportunities and risks and an actionable plan to develop and enhance both competency and business growth drivers and holds sales specialist accountable for measurable progress.
- Continuously attracts, recruits and maintains top industry talent, minimizes regrettable turnover and ensures all vacancies are promptly filled.
- Consistently conducts business analysis, develops and maintains a current business plan, and contributes to the development of national launch business plans. Analyzes and assesses contract strategy and profitability.
- Maintains exceptional knowledge of the customer, related markets and disease states competitive products and the broader healthcare marketplace. Be the content expert for the Neurology specialty channel.
- Identifies and establishes strong personal relationships with key and emerging thought leaders, customers, influencers and networks and devotes the necessary amount of time to influence target HCPs to support the use of MTPA promoted products and establish MTPA as an industry partner of choice.
- Exercises fiscal control, manages expenses and allocates resources appropriately and pragmatically, consistent with written business plan to maximize business growth drivers, and return on investment. Implements necessary stop-loss investments and fully leverages and utilizes but does not exceed all allocated budgets and allocated resources.
- Attends and actively participates in and contributes to all sales and training meetings and completes all required responsibilities on time and by achieving established standards.
- Performs all Company business in accordance with all regulations (e.g., EEO, FDA, DEA, ASHA, PDMA, EPA, PhRMA, etc.) and Company policy and procedures. When violations are noted/observed they are to be immediately reported to management.
- Demonstrates high ethical and performance standards with all business contacts in order to maintain MTPA’s excellent reputation within the medical and pharmaceutical community.
- Bachelors Degree is required.
- Master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 12 years of progressively responsible experience in pharmaceutical sales.
- Recent in-depth experience with: Orphan Drug launches; Specialty Pharmacy, Buy and Bill Process, Federal Accounts/VA and Home Infusion in the Neurology/CNS market.
- Minimum of 3 -5 years successfully managing 2nd line sales leaders within Rare/Orphan Disease a proven record of success against quantitative and qualitative goals.
- Prior product marketing/home office experience is preferred.
- In-depth understanding and existing customer relationships in the Neurology/CNS therapeutic area preferred
- Leads by example, displaying integrity, collaboration, accessibility, adaptability, sound judgment/decision making, and an entrepreneurial, solutions-oriented attitude. Recruit, hires, and coaches sales representatives to success.
- Demonstrates responsiveness, attention to detail, and follow-through coupled with ability to prioritize/multi-task effectively.
- Use analytical/strategic skills to synthesize complex information, distill critical insights to inform commercial assessments, and translate to tactical level.
- Outstanding business case development skills, financial acumen and budget management skills.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Highly proficient in MS Office; skilled at using Excel to develop pharmaceutical product forecast models and quantitative analyses.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the Pharma industry, broad therapeutic areas/disease states, drugs/treatments, and related regulatory, commercialization and compliance requirements.
- Willingness to travel 50-60% domestically and internationally for business and project meetings as required.