3 days ago
CHULA VISTA, CA
The medical dosimetrist is responsible for designing a treatment plan and carrying out calculations with mathematical accuracy for the delivery of radiation treatment based on the radiation oncologist’s prescribed course of radiation therapy.
· Design a treatment plan by means of computer and/or manual computation with optimal beam geometry to deliver a prescribed radiation dose and spare critical structures in accordance with the Radiation Oncologist’s prescription.
· Applies the latest technology knowledge and skills in advanced treatment planning techniques.
· Assists in simulation of patients, using simulator, computed tomography or other devices to accurately localize treatment area under the direction of the radiation oncologist.
· Partners with the Lead Therapists and Medical Physicist in quality assurance initiatives to include radiation safety and protection, machine calibrations, quality assurance of treatment plans and clinical setups.
· Checks charts weekly as needed, and verifies total dose(s) delivered upon completion of each course of therapy.
· Responsible for technical component of brachytherapy and stereotactic radio surgery program. Assist in treatment planning as determined by the Physicist and Medical Director.
· Responsible for clearly relaying the treatment plan to radiation therapists and assuming an advisory role in the implementation of the plan to include: the correct use of immobilization devices, compensators, wedges, field arrangement, and other treatment or imaging parameters.
· Provides appropriate teaching to patients and family as needed.
· Maintain professional certification.
· Attend department staff meetings, radiation safety committee meetings, and other meetings as necessary.
· Regular attendance and punctuality.
· Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
· Ensures that all processing and reporting deadlines are consistently achieved.
· Perform any other functions as required by management.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
· Ability to work a flexible schedule (including overtime, and weekends), as necessary.
· Two – five years radiation therapy experience as a medical dosimetrist.
· Medical Dosimetry Certification Board certification.
· Graduate of an accredited school of radiation therapy.
· Valid Driver’s license & Reliable Transportation.
· Bachelors degree in related field
Excellent judgment, dependability, conscientious performance. Detail oriented. Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Caring and empathetic. High ethical standards. Mechanical ability and manual dexterity for operating complicated equipments.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, employee is required to walk; sit; use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must lift and/or move 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, speech clarity, climb, balance, and stoop, kneel, and bend.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to environmental risk of radiation exposure, and biohazard exposure.