30+ days ago
North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED)/Weapon Technologies Engineering (WTE) Program supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate has multiple openings for Mechanical and/or Electro-Mechanical Design Drafter-CAD Operator III to support new and on-going experiments and facilities for various programs at LLNL's Site 200 and Site 300 (Tracy, CA). The successful candidate will provide design and drafting support including electronic and mechanical design, drawing and data management of complex control/diagnostic systems and sub systems. The successful candidate will support the Firing Area Test Facilities and Nuclear Weapon Engineering (NWE) Stockpile Support Test Facilities.
This position may require the successful candidate have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Provide general Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical drafting and design support to lead designers, engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Perform basic calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas.
- Process drawings and other technical information using database management software.
- Maintain systems documentation and experimental records.
- Provide graphics and related technical material in support of design reviews, procedures, and other documentation.
- Prepares completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
At Drafter-CAD Operator IV:
- Provide advanced Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical design and drafting support where overall design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Contribute to preliminary design concepts for hardware, componentry, and systems including making independent judgment and decisions.
- Estimate scheduling and costs to determine effective methods in design, materials, and time to meet project deliverables and prepare and present technical material for design reviews, procedures, and other related documentation.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Associate's degree in Mechanical or Electro-Mechanical Drafting; or relevant degree containing significant science, mathematics, electronics, and engineering coursework with related experience; or Certificate in Engineering Technology, Mechanical or Electronic Drafting with related experience; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques related to drafting including knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Demonstrated ability to solve moderately complex technical problems.
- Intermediate understanding of function, fabrication, processes, and packaging of electronic systems and/or mechanical hardware.
- Demonstrated ability to read and follow engineering notes, sketches, drawings specifications, and procedures.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills
At Drafter-CAD Operator IV:
- Advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard and proficient use of CAD software.
- Advanced understanding of electrical and mechanical design principles and demonstrated ability to solve complex technical problems.
- Advanced knowledge in PCB designs, electrical schematics, engineering hardware design, fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes, and manufacturing methods.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Experience using CAD, AutoCAD, and database management software.
- Experience using PTC Windchill PDMLink design software.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Subcontractor.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.