Vanasse Hangen Brustlin
WE ARE VHBâ€”a passionate team of engineers, scientists, surveyors, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industriesâ€”serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues (really!)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
Itâ€™s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast.Weâ€™re growing, and we hope youâ€™ll join us!
About the Position
VHB is looking for an experienced ecologist to support our Atlanta office in our growing transportation-focused practice. Our dynamic team practices across a range of natural resources, conducting wetland assessments, protected species habitat evaluations, aquatic surveys, bat studies, and we are looking for an additional team member to contribute to our group.
- Performance of ecological studies, including conducting field surveys, producing reports, and completing QA/QC
- Assistance with proposals
- All aspects of wetlands assessments work including desktop reviews/ evaluations, field delineations, wetlands mapping, wetlands data form completion, mitigation credit calculations, US Army Corps of Engineers Section 404/10 permitting processes
- Conduct field surveys and assessments for protected species
- Participate in environmental permitting, assessment, and compliance work related to federal and state agency requirements as they pertain to a variety of project types
- Perform analysis and participate in making recommendations to clients
- Participate in multi-disciplinary environmental assessments
Skills and Attributes
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Motivated to learn, mentor, and collaborate with others
- Superior technical skills, producing consistent high-quality work products
- Emerging business development and proposal skills, technical scope writing, qualifications and costing is desirable
- Strong field notation skills
- Strong wetland delineation skills
- Ability to work long day-time hours in the outdoor environment
- Ability to work well with a wide range of clients in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to work well independently and with a diverse, multi-disciplinary group in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment
- Proficient in MS Office
- Proficient using Mobile Data Collection technologies, including GPS
- Proficient with Arc Map and GIS applications
- Experience writing due diligence reports and biological assessments
- Aptitude for coordinating surveys and/or consultations for state and federal protected species
- Proficient with general habitat and/or plant community identification
- Proficient with field safety practices
- B.S. degree or higher in biology, environmental science, natural science, or related field
- At least three (3) years professional experience with GDOT process and procedures
- Must have experience preparing ecology reports for the Georgia Department of Transportation or other state transportation departments
- Experience with wetland/surface waters and/or wildlife permitting, ecological surveys, ecological studies, habitat assessment, field data collection and documentation, data analysis and evaluation
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.