30+ days ago
Grosse Pointe, MI
Under supervision of the professional registered nurse and in accordance with competencies established, supports the provision of nursing care by performing patient care tasks as delegated within the Emergency Department.
1. Performs routine bedside nursing activities including ambulating, moving and turning patients, assisting patients with bedpans or urinary devices, making patient beds. Responsible for bagging and labeling all patient belongings and completing the patient property record on all admitted patients.
2. Performs higher level of patient care tasks as prescribed by established competencies, and as delegated by the supervising professional Registered Nurse in accordance with departmental policies and procedures which includes starting saline locks, simple suture removal (excluding face or complex lacerations) splinting, phlebotomy which includes (children draws over the age of 2), vital sign measurement, records intake and output and restraint application.
3. Reinforces the patient teaching plan by providing clarification, explanation and/or demonstration to patients/substitute decision-makers regarding treatments, procedures and aftercare.
4. Applies and changes sterile and non-sterile dressing using appropriate techniques. Applies ace bandage or elastic stockings as required. Assists in performing catheterizations, gives enemas, urine and stool testing, glucometer and EKG functions.
5. Gathers subjective and objective patient care data; gathers information from primary and secondary source such as direct observation/measurement, patient/significant other interviews, and the medical record.
6. Documents accurate, complete and precise patient information, interventions and responses in the patient’s medical record. Performs discharge function under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse.
7. Performs technical skills such as (not all inclusive): collecting blood samples, obtaining vital signs, performing ECG’s, sets up and assists with wound care, sets up and assist with pelvic exams; and assisting with procedures as directed by the nurse and physician.
8. Utilizes and understands sterile technique.
9. Effectively communicates with patients / significant others and other members of the health care team supporting patient and family centered care.
10. Stocks and maintains adequate equipment and supplies in the patient care areas. Ensures vehicle and equipment are ready for response at all times.
11. Performs safe movement/transporting of patients; removes waste materials, sanitizing tools, delivers meals to patients.
12. Completes documentation and records according to department policy.
13. Demonstrates a high degree of professional conduct.
14. Attends all required Safety Training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety.
15. Follows the Hospital Exposure Control Plans/Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens.
16. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
17. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department team inter- and intra-departmentally to facilitate the department's ability to meet its goals and objectives.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
1. Supports the Mission, Value and Vision of Beaumont Health (BH). Demonstrates personal commitment through active involvement in the performance improvement process.
2. Exhibits excellent customer service skills and behaviors toward internal and external customers and co-workers. Promotes positive public relations with patients/residents, family members, guests, and others.
3. Supports and adheres to all Beaumont Health’s customer service, service excellence, and performance standards. Supports and participates with all required compliance standards that may be department specific and/or identified by the organizations including in-service training, acceptable attendance, uniform and dress code.
4. Adheres to HIPAA requirements and maintains confidentiality of all data, including patient/resident, employee and operations information.
5. Supports and participates in a collaborative team-oriented environment – cooperates and works together with all co-workers, plans and completes job duties, uses appropriate communications in sensitive and emotional situations and follows up as appropriate regarding reported complaints, problems and concerns.
6. Supports, cooperates with and demonstrates safe work practices and attitudes, follows safety rules – including universal precautions - reports and prevents/corrects unsafe conditions and behaviors, and participates in organizational and departmental safety programs.
7. Completes all required compliance standards that may be department specific and/or identified by the organization.
8. Maintains current licensure, registration and/or certification, as applicable, at all times.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Education / Training:
· High School graduate or equivalent.
B. Work Experience:
· Requires a minimum six months' exhibited performance as a nursing assistant or other inpatient caregiver experience, paramedic, EMT, urgent care caregiver experience or a Nursing Student (preferred completion of a Medical Surgical rotation).
C. Certification, Licensure, Registration:
· Requires successful B.L.S. Health Care Provider Course certification.
· Requires successful completion of established competencies by Emergency Department Leadership and Emergency Department Education Specialist.
· EMT license preferred.
D. Other Qualifications:
· Ability to interact effectively with minimal supervision using good judgment, common sense, leadership ability and a thorough understanding of the principles of emergency medical services at the basis level.
· Ability to interact effectively and professionally with patients, hospital personnel, emergency service providers, fire department personnel, and the general public.
· Basic computer skills.