Engineer- Development II
First Solar Inc
Our high growth and leadership position in the renewable energy business offers outstanding opportunities to individuals seeking an exciting work environment in one of the most important industries for the 21st century. First Solar is a leader in the development and manufacturing of thin film solar modules used in grid-connected solar power plants, as well as a provider of complete solar generation solutions for U.S. utilities. Our culture is one where teamwork, continuous improvement, achievement of results, and environmental responsibility are core values. We are seeking new associates who are motivated to contribute their talents to making cost-effective solar energy an important part of the world’s energy mix.
Primary Job Functions:
Basic Job Functions:
- Lead efforts to improve solar module performance by optimizing laser processes using statistical and engineering techniques.
- Scale up and implement new laser processes to drive improvements to solar module performance.
- Transfer processes developed in lab, to production.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required in an engineering discipline or similar technical discipline, with 5 years of technical work experience as an Engineer
- Master Degree in an engineering discipline or similar technical discipline, with 3 years of technical work experience as an Engineer
- PhD in an in the fields of Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Surface Science, Applied Physics, Physics, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field without experience.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Understands and can apply Design of Experiments.
- Demonstrated Proficiency in Statistical Data Analysis
- Demonstrated capability to train lead a team of operators and/or technicians.
- Ability to work autonomously to achieve goals as well as, define goals aligned with long term strategic roadmap.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Maintain and continuously improve the equipment for multiple laser processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of Physics of PV or related device, knowledge of laser systems used in PV, a plus
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes.
- Knowledge of General Electronics
- Knowledge in General Mechanical Systems
- Demonstrated proficiency with applying Robust Engineering principles to develop and implementing processes.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Improve module performance by identifying areas of potential improvement in the production process. Design, execute and analyze screening and optimization tests. Perform data analysis on production data to identify factors influencing performance.
- Improve process capability and reduce variation by identifying significant process / product parameters and determine methods for process control or develop robust processes.
- Identifying opportunities for improvement in process equipment design. Successfully interact with manufacturing and design engineers / maintenance technicians to implement equipment modifications.
- Organize and lead cross functional engineering reviews. Coordinate actions of development, manufacturing and production personnel in carrying out engineering tests.
- Be able to actively engage tool vendors and drive continuous improvement as well as, strategic roadmap initiatives.
- Maintain effective communication manufacturing and development engineering teams.
- Understand manufacturability of processes being developed in lab and provide feedback.
- Design and execute experiments to establish manufacturing process window.
- Evaluate, Install and Qualify new equipment
- Design and execute planned process experiments, collect and analyze data and report experimental results
- Works with minimal supervision
- Adhere to all safety procedures and good housekeeping standards
- Will sit, stand or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- 20/40 vision in each eye, with or without correction, is required
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to; steel toed shoes, gloves, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective jacket or apron and arm guards)
- All associates working on the production floor may be required to wear a respirator at any given time and thus, the ability to wear a respirator is a condition of employment and continued employment (requires little or no facial hair)
Please note: potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check, pre-employment drug screen, and any other test that may be required for the role.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: First Solar Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.