Federal Signal Corporation (NYSE:FSS) provides products and services to protect people and our planet. Founded in 1901, Federal Signal is a leading global designer and manufacturer of products and total solutions that serve municipal, governmental, industrial and commercial customers. Headquartered in Oak Brook, Ill., with manufacturing facilities worldwide, the Company operates two groups: Environmental Solutions and Safety and Security Systems. For more information on Federal Signal, visit: www.federalsignal.com.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of, and will receive consideration for employment without regard to, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, genetic information, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category, characteristic, or trait under applicable law. If you require reasonable accommodation in the application process, call Human Resources at 630-954-2000. All other applications must be submitted online.
Sold and serviced through a network of more than 100 dealer locations worldwide, Elgin Sweeper products are the sweepers of choice for a variety of general street maintenance, special industrial and airport applications. With more than 100 years of experience, Elgin Sweeper offers municipalities, contractors and industries the most sweeper options in the country, using the latest sweeping technologies—mechanical, pure vacuum, regenerative air, alternative fuel and waterless dust control. Elgin Sweeper is a subsidiary of Federal Signal Corporation’s Environmental Solutions Group. For more information, visit www.elginsweeper.com.
Summary of Position
The Technician is responsible for the support of Current Products, New Product Development, and Technology Development Engineering projects as required. This support may include, but is not limited to prototype development and laboratory testing. The lab Technician is required to perform a variety of complex assembly, development and testing duties of control systems in a research environment
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assemble and instrument prototype Federal Signal Environmental Solutions Group (ESG) equipment and their components including: street sweepers, hydro-excavators, sewer cleaners and high pressure water blast systems. Install and test prototype systems on ESG equipment:
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and assembly drawings.
- Ability to read and understand hydraulic, pneumatic and electrical schematics.
- Knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Adjust and modify equipment according to performance and requirements.
- Operate equipment to modify parts tested or to fabricate experimental parts for testing.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair pneumatic, hydraulic and electrical system problems using traditional industry practices and equipment.
- Ability to identify, evaluate and suggest performance and reliability improvements on ESG products.
- Prepare illustrations and written documentation to describe prototype parts and modifications
- Ability to set up and conduct tests of complete units and components under operational conditions to investigate proposals for approving and/or improving equipment performance.
- Responsible for inspecting one’s own work.
- Ability to verify dimensions of parts, installation of components, and operation components using measuring instruments.
- Builds prototype ESG Products and sub systems per print or verbal direction, while maintaining tolerances.
- Certified to use the following: Mig and stick welder, torch, plasma, and stud welder.
- Ability to fabricate electrical harnesses from drawings or in prototype stage.
- Ability to fabricate hydraulic hose needed for hydraulic fit-up.
- Operates all standard machine tools and performs skilled tasks in construction.
- Cross-trained in all lab operations and ability to mentor and train other lab personnel.
- The proper use and operation of test equipment.
- The proper use and operation of ESG products.
- Execute written test procedures developed by the ESG Lab and engineering societies
- Sets up and operates measuring and testing devices to test components and experimental models of mechanical equipment.
- Review test request instructions and specifications to identify and plan requirements, assembly and testing.
- Assist/perform tests on prototype systems and components.
- Ability to set-up prototype and test apparatus and operate test equipment to observe and record test results and prototype form, fit and function.
- Analyzes test results in relation to design specifications and test objectives and modify or adjust equipment to meet specifications.
- Prepare test reports describing findings and conditions under which test were conducted.
- Ability to use digital video recording equipment
- Possesses a valid CDL or the ability to attain a license
- Has the ability to travel on behalf of the company
- Perform other ESG duties, assignments, and special projects that may be required from time to time
- Associates degree in related field of study is preferred.
- Complete approved courses in mechanics, electronics, hydraulics and ESG product service and operation.
- Technical school training beyond high school preferred.
- 3-5 years or more of related experience preferred
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office.
- Must also possess the following: good oral comprehension and communication skills; good visualization; deductive reasoning; willing to accept responsibility; able to work as part of a team; ability to work without supervision; good organization and time management skills.
Benefits of Employment
In addition to excellent career growth opportunities, Federal Signal Corporation offers a wide array of benefits including: annual bonus potential, insurance (life, medical, dental, vision), paid holidays, paid vacation, 401(k) with matching contributions and tuition reimbursement. We provide our employees with a smoke-free, drug-free workplace.