Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
Reporting to the Senior Engineering Operations Manager (SEOM). The focus of the Engineering Operations Manager (EOM) is to deliver operational excellence across every shift, driving the department to a right first-time culture. The position will be located at the Fulfillment Center working closely with Kroger’s Inbound, Outbound and their other support teams to optimize equipment availability and performance of the facility to meet/exceed Kroger’s delivery commitments to their customers. The primary focus is to achieve the safest working environment and most efficient operation; a balance between the safest, lowest cost and the highest uptime to meet the customer demand.
The Engineering Operations Manager’s day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Serve as a leader for a newly constructed FC start-up while supporting the hiring for the local management team and support/facilitate their training phase in order to meet Kroger’s operational ramps and milestones.
- Develop an environment for continuous training and education for the workforce regarding Six Sigma, Lean tools and other optimization methodologies; set the tone for a culture of continuous improvement.
- Direct and coordinate safety meetings creating any needed risk assessments to complete planned work.
- Manage engineering and technician team members to reduce mean-time-to-repair and to sustain excess available capacity to meet the customer’s daily planned capacity
- Plan and schedule the workflow according to established manufacturing sequences, customer schedules and lead times.
- Gather information to evaluate current work processes in order to determine the flow of work, yield improvements, time requirements, costs, and duration.
- Monitor, analyze and report performance to schedule of production and production support activities, utilizing information derived from material and production control systems defined by Ocado Corp.
- Drive key customer success programs to ensure Kroger is achieving their desired outcomes with the full array of Ocado Solutions.
- Interacts and partners with Kroger counterparts to achieve a collective goal.
that supersedes individual functional, tactical goals to hit the trifecta of cost/quality/delivery from an external customer point of view.
- In conjunction with the SEOM and the HR Team, ensure employee recognition & discipline (including documenting and resolving policy violations, conducting performance and holding probation review meetings) and assist with the recruitment of new staff.
- Responsible for personnel management including, time and attendance, time-off requests, establishing and reviewing goals and objectives, general mentoring, driving accountability and assigning daily priorities.
- Develop effective customer relationships to facilitate communication and execution to ensure that the customer’s deliverables are successfully achieved.
- Lead shift supervisors, Engineering Team Managers (ETM’s), to effectively prioritize and allocate workload; deploy labor based on the demands and requirements of the task against the competency and capability of resource.
- Assess engineering team skills and assist in upskilling and training of staff with a focus on cross training for coverage redundancy. Provide training, mentoring, coaching and development of team.
- Chair advanced stage formal meetings up to and including dismissal where productivity expectancy, quality standards, process health and safety requirements or conduct standards have not been met.
- Ensure effective communications within the Operational Team as well as regional management to ensure the same message is delivered across the operation
- Ensure that day to day implementation of Health, Safety and Environment Policy and Practices are followed across the operation and managed according to OSHA, Ocado standards and regional/local regulations.
The Engineering Operations Manager may be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request from time-to-time. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job
The initial 6 to 9 months will involve training and most likely require some travel in order to obtain the training from another site in North America and/or UK. In the event the operations is undergoing its initial startup, the daily responsibilities for this role may be different while supporting the needs of a facility in its initial stages of starting its operations. Once the facility is commissioned, the roles defined in this job description will become the daily responsibilities for the EOM as well as all of the roles reporting to the SEOM.
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- A Bachelor of Science degree required; from an Engineering field of study preferred (ME, Industrial, Automation, etc.). Operational leadership experience over a technical operation is a requirement.
- Min 5 years of supervisory experience leading manufacturing, operations and/or fulfillment teams; high-tech manufacturing and/or automated distribution facilities is preferred.
- Prefer previous experience managing technical teams for a start-up and/or new technology introduction.
- 5+ years of experience managing a 50+ technician and engineering staff for a 24/7 operations is required.
- Knowledge of and demonstrable competencies in OSHA and other Health and Safety guidelines; direct experience in projects which incorporate Process Safety Management and proficient understanding of compliance and regulations in the region.
- Able to analyze production specifications and plant capacity data and performs mathematical calculations to determine manufacturing processes, tools, and human resource requirements.
- Experienced in actively acting in forming internal customer partnerships, building consensus and compromises with internal stakeholders.
- A champion of diversity, who can work effectively in an environment where different beliefs and ideas are appreciated, and proactively seeks leaders who represent a diverse community.
- Develop the organization to align with the Ocado’s desired behaviors and values to leave a lasting and positive customer impression.
- A sound understanding of and experience using Google Suites, Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook; utilize latest technology and software programs to enhance the growth of the organization.
Our Engineering Operations Manager position is located in our Detroit, MI Customer Fulfillment Center.
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.