Environmental Project Geologist
WithersRavenel is looking for people who are passionate about collaboration, community, and client success. Your reward for sharing your talent with us? OWNERSHIP. As a 100% employee-owned company, every employee is an owner—which adds a powerful and unique dimension to our vibrant company culture and purposeful work. Our employee owners say they love a lot of things about WithersRavenel, but the things most often cited are: our amazing people and team-first atmosphere, our flexible/hybrid work environment, our focus on their professional development and growth, and our commitment to the communities in which we work and live.
Bring your talent and collaborative spirit and join our team of employee owners at WithersRavenel!
Environmental Project Geologist are technical professionals that support assigned engineers, geologists, or other technical positions in the preparation of draft Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessment reports, participation in design, implementation and reporting for assessment and remediation projects and other related environmental projects. These individuals also assist in the performance of field work and literature review work for geologic and hydrogeologic characterization of sites for environmental, water supply, solid waste, and waste application sites.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project, Client, and Team Management
- Assign, direct, and manage project, staff, and technician level employees to complete:
- Environmental monitoring, including the collection of soil, soil vapor, surface water, sediment, groundwater, and waste material samples.
- Environmental surveys pertaining to health and environmental hazards
- Emergency response activities.
- Oversee installation of test pits, soil borings, soil gas probes, monitoring wells, or excavation work.
- Conduct field tests in accordance with company SOPs.
- Provide necessary training to project, staff, and technical level employees.
- Work with project and senior staff to develop an understanding of a project’s scope of work, schedule, and budget.
- Communicate with site supervisors and contacts to schedule work activities.
- Coordinate and negotiate with regulatory agencies.
- Coordinate resource needs with Team members and other Departments
- Forecast workload and address gaps or excessive workloads
- Manage projects, oversee, and delegate tasks, and engage in design of projects
- Schedule and lead project meetings
- Represent our Company in communications with clients for assigned projects regularly throughout the entire project and in marketing activities after project completion.
- Prepare draft agreements including scope, schedule, fees, and terms and conditions for review by supervisor.
- Manage deliverables and project responsibilities within scope, budget, and schedule, reviewing technical documents and reports for completeness and accuracy.
- Responsible for the financial performance of projects and proactively address changes in scope, billing processes, schedules, and any settlements
- Follow Accounting and Department procedures for invoicing and collections
- Communicate regularly with supervisor of any significant challenge, deviation from procedures and metrics, or incidents that occurs on projects
Technical and Practice Leadership
- Ability to perform all environmental related field work as needed.
- Prepare drafts of written reports, proposals, tables of data, CAD drawings, boring logs, and sampling forms for review by Project Manager.
- Responsible and accountable for coordination, input, and enforcement of all technical aspects and policies of the Department and Company
- Analyze complex technical problems and devise new or improved techniques, approaches, and alternative solutions
- Provide quality control/quality assurance consistent with Company and Department standards and the requirements of our clients and regulatory agencies
- Use current technology as much as practicable to complete projects
- Lead, supervise, and monitor Team Members to achieve the goals and strategies for the Department
- Lead and/or participate in mentoring, career path planning and development (including training plans), performance plans, mentoring, and resource sharing for all supervised Team Members
- Implement effective communication, performance management, as well as identify strategic skills needed to achieve Company, Department, Team, and project goals.
- Participate in Department/Company recruitment efforts and building your Team as directed
- Foster a positive environment; engage in Company, Department, and Team meetings routinely, team building efforts, and community involvement
- Report and assist HR in the resolution of personnel issues
Client and Business Development
- Responsible for cultivation of existing relationships including periodic client meetings, proposal, and budget development, and obtaining feedback in conjunction with Marketing and Department personnel as required
- Seek opportunities for cross-selling to enhance and expand our existing client relationships during and after projects
- Assist in strategic pursuit of potential clients per Department initiatives and our core values
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Geology, or Environmental Science, or related field of expertise or equivalent experience.
- Professional Engineer or Licensed Geologist in North Carolina, or another related professional licensure.
- 9-12 years of experience in environmental consulting; with demonstrated experience in the completion of site assessments, remediation, environmental audits, data interpretation, and report writing. NC experience preferred.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office applications, AutoCAD, and ArcGIS.
- OSHA Hazardous Site Operations Worker Training (1910.120).
- A valid driver's license and clean driving record is required for this position.
- Self-motivated, engaged, and team-oriented with the ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Strong leadership and project management skills as well as excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of contracts, accounting principles, including budgeting and forecasting
- High standards of professionalism
- Proven track record of fostering existing client relationships
- Demonstrate personal investment in your career
- Energetic, flexible, confident, and forward thinking
- DEQ contract experience or significant private client experience
- NC Licensed Well Driller Certification.
- NC Registered Site Manager
The position will require occasional long (>10 hours) workdays, evenings, and weekend work. The position also requires outdoor work throughout the year in urban, suburban, and rural settings for the collection of environmental samples, and to observe and document the work of subcontractors. Strict adherence to Health & Safety Plan and WR Standard Operating Procedures in performance of field duties is required. Position may require use of personal protective equipment and air monitoring equipment to minimize the potential for exposure to contaminants. Position may require up to 50 to 75 percent occasional day travel.
Position requires the ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 50 pounds for short distances, kneeling, walking, lifting, and manually advancing hand operated drilling equipment in various locations and/or heavily vegetated topography.
The intent of this description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of the position. Incumbents may be required to perform other job related tasks other than those specifically presented in the description.
WithersRavenel is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, military service, or other non-merit factors protected by federal, state, or local laws. At WithersRavenel, we strive to build and nurture a culture where diversity, inclusivity, and belonging are a normal part of doing business, not an initiative. We know through experience that different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. By hiring highly talented people who align with our Core Values, we continue to enrich and broaden our ownership community, as well as the employee and client experience. This purposeful approach to diversity and inclusion leads to greater commitment, collaboration, and effectiveness in our culture, work, and lives.