ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE AIDE I - (weekends & Holidays)
Massachusetts General Hospital
Under general supervision and following established procedures, performs a variety of tasks to maintain the cleanliness and orderliness of assigned areas. Including but not inclusive of the following areas\: Offices, laboratories, public areas, outpatient areas and support areas.
· Occasionally helps to train new employees to perform assigned tasks.
· Selects materials, supplies, and equipment from designated areas. Loads supplies onto cart and transports work cart to assigned areas.
· Sweeps, dust mops and wet-mops hard and resilient floors of assigned areas according to procedures. May use autoscrubber or other types of powered equipment to clean or polish floors.
· Dry dusts, damp dusts and washes horizontal and vertical surfaces, such as walls, doors, partitions, as well as ledges, pipes, corners, and other hard-to-reach surfaces using step stools or ladders as necessary.
· Dusts, washes and polishes moveable and fixed furniture and equipment items such as tables, desks, file cabinets and waste receptacles as required.
· Cleans and polishes mirrors, stainless steel, brass, and other decorative materials as necessary. Removes graffiti.
· Vacuums, spot cleans carpeted floors and weather mats.
· Moves and arranges furniture and equipment in an orderly fashion after cleaning.
· Sanitizes and disinfects sinks, toilets, showers, bathtubs and other restroom fixtures and accessories. Refills dispensers as required.
· Strips, cleans and remakes beds/stretchers upon patient discharge / transfer according to departmental procedures.
· Disposes of waste and linen, including contaminated and/or pathological and chemotherapy waste according to procedures. Relines receptacles with clean bags. Transports trash and linen to designated areas. Removes full needle boxes and replaces with empty ones.
· Reports facility repair needs to the immediate supervisor.
· Returns unused supplies to designated areas and cleans and performs simple maintenance on manual and/or powered equipment.
· Empties and transports recycle containers. Processes recycled paper according to HIPAA regulations.
· Assists in disaster response drills.
· Occasional exposure to one or more hazardous conditions, such as low level radiation, infectious diseases, needle punctures, mildly toxic chemicals (acids and strong alkylines), biohazardous materials, odors, etc.
· Intermittent exposure to extremely unpleasant cleaning tasks.
· Must be able to speak, read and write English.
· Understand oral instructions and follow printed label instructions in English.
Knowledge of cleaning techniques, materials, supply and chemical usage, and the operation of manual and power equipment.
· Ability to stand, walk, push, pull, bend, crouch, lift, reach and stretch throughout the work day.
· Push, pull, and move items weighing up to 75 pounds, occasionally lifting items weighing approximately 30 pounds.
· Interpersonal skills to exchange information courteously with patients, visitors, or office staff.
About the Company
Massachusetts General Hospital
We are committed to delivering the most advanced and compassionate care, pushing the boundaries of medicine, educating the next generation of care providers and researchers, and making a difference in the health of the communities we serve – locally and around the world.