Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46states. To learn more about American Water andadditionalcareer opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Safely and properly operates heavy equipment.
- Safely and properly operates backhoes, hi-velocity sewer cleaners, vacuum trucks, heavy- and light-duty service trucks, jack hammers, line locating equipment, metal detectors used for locating water and sewer main and services, and other heavy equipment that may be used or purchased by the company.
- Ensures the safe operation and running maintenance of assigned equipment.
- Works as the crew leader for repairing and/or replacing water mains, fire hydrants, main line valves, water service lines, roundways, boxes, valve boxes, valve vaults, sanitary sewer manholes, sanitary main line sewers, sewer laterals, cleaning, inspecting, and televising the sanitary sewer distribution system facilities.
- Makes adjustments to the equipment, performs preventive maintenance such as greasing, oiling, and cleaning.
- Makes minor repairs and assists in major repairs, as required.
- Performs duties of a Utility Maintenance/Laborer, as work scheduling requires.
- Performs the duties of Field Maintenance Person, when necessary, and other field service duties, as assigned, when not operating the sewer equipment.
- When operating equipment, acts as crew leader and Competent Person for confined space entry.
- When other Lead or Supervisor is not designated or present, acts as Crew Leader.
- Working knowledge of hydraulic and mechanical principles and characteristics of facilities pertinent to the operation and maintenance of water and wastewater distribution systems including appropriate operating hazards and safety precautions.
- Thorough knowledge of operation, maintenance, and functional requirements of all heavy equipment and accessories.
- High School graduation or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years of experience in the water/wastewater field or other applicable industry. Experience in inspecting and testing for cross-connections and illegal connections, and experience in operating and inspecting for malfunctions and flaws and maintaining system facilities preferred.
Commercial Drivers License, CLASS A with Air Brake Endorsement.
- Readily available for emergency overtime work and must wear a cellular phone or pager on an assigned basis.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.