30+ days ago
We are searching for a dynamic Executive Chef for our Black Tuna Restaurant at the Wyndham Garden Norfolk Downtown, a 204 rooms full service hotel with 15,000 sq.ft. of meeting space. This individual will help us build a new restaurant-bar concept and help champion our food, service, cocktails and marketing initiatives. Ideally we would like to find someone who is looking to build their career in the service industry & grow with us. This person must have a can do / whatever it takes attitude and must be able to balance his food creations to our restaurant a fun bar and an outdoor pool environment. Must have an eye for detail and the understanding that creating a new vibe and becoming one of neighborhoods favorite local destination is very important to us.
We would like to be known for having unique scratch made bar items. For that we need a creative individual that can develop exciting new offerings with a twist and make it our guest’s favorite, like PB&J wings, tin can nachos, Mexican street corn, craft burgers & sandwich's as well as bowls and vegetarian items that can be matched with craft beers or exotic cocktails and wines.
The ideal candidate will possess advanced knowledge of the principles and practices within the food profession. This includes experiential knowledge required for management of people and/or complex problems and food and beverage management; requires strong oral and written communication skills; five to ten years of employment in a related position in culinary experience with increasing responsibilities. We are looking for creative out of the box individual who will enjoy building a new concept.
This individual will help source food, wine, beer and spirits from small local producers by maintaining direct relationships with these vendors. Make the scratch restaurant/bar notorious by utilizing extensive social media interaction while requesting positive reviews with every opportunity. Ask for guest suggestions and make sure that our food and cocktails are on par with the best bars in town. In time, produce some wine, beer and spirits maker dinners for special corporate events.
This position offers considerable growth potential as we grow our brand and concepts.
•Responsible for all food production including that used for restaurant/bar/pool areas and banquet functions. Develop catering, restaurant and lounge menus, food purchase specifications and recipes. Supervise staff. Develop and monitor food and labor budget for the department. Maintain highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
•Responsible for the creation, development and the success of the new restaurant/bar food concept.
• Must have banquet and restaurant experience.
• Schedules and coordinates the work of cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted labor cost goals.
• Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
• Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste.
• Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
• Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
• Consults with the Food & Beverage Management about food production aspects of special events being planned.
• Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
• Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
• Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
• Interacts with food and beverage management to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
• In conjunction with F&B management team, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
• Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
• Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
• Provides training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
• Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome members.
• Support safe work habits and a safe working environment at all times.
• Perform other duties as directed.
• Flexible hours and days to accommodate business demand
• Minimum of 3 to 4 years management experience with culinary department with banquets, restaurant and lounge.
Certification and/or License Requirements
Professional certification that are required by law such as Food Safety.
Salary: Based on experience
Bonus Plan: Yes
• Medical, Dental, Vision & life insurance
• 401(k) with company match
• Hotel discount
• Holiday pay
• Training and development, Opportunity for growth and Much More!
*Special consideration will be given to applicants who exhibit a proven track record of exemplary performance, strong leadership abilities, excellent oral and written communication skills, and guest and employee centric management practices in the Hospitality Industry.
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES ONLY PLEASE. IF HIRED, ALL EMPLOYEES WILL BE SUBJECTED TO A BACKGROUND CHECK AS WELL AS DRUG TEST.