The Executive Chef will manage the kitchen, develop menus and create delectable recipes for the Taste of Smithfield restaurant and for Smithfield corporate events to include executive leadership team meals. The ideal candidate for this position is creative, enthusiastic, and passionate about food; has strong presentation skills to participate in customer presentations; and has experience in coordinating groups for special events.
- Actively manages and conducts the on-site preparation and delivery of food for executive meals, corporate employee relations and training events.
- Professionally execute high quality, fine dining experiences for executive leadership meals to include preparing and producing menu papers and presentations.
- Creates innovative, on-trend menu items, products, recipes, dishes and applications for all executive/corporate catering events.
- Performs customer presentations by preparing trend-based concepts and speaking to the qualities of the product with the customer.
Taste of Smithfield Restaurant:
- Actively manages daily operations of the restaurant by maintaining a cooperative relationship with the Kitchen Assistant Manager and other kitchen team members to provide an outstanding dining experience for customers.
- Stays ahead of culinary, consumer and restaurant trends, processes, and products to assist in recommending new applications, methods, and ingredients.
- Creates trending flavor profile concepts and recipes and participates in menu brainstorming and ideation sessions.
- Ability to work well with others in fast-paced, dynamic environment and meet established goals, objectives, and timelines.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Two-year culinary associate degree or certification at the Sous Chef (CSC) or Chef de Cuisine (CCC) level and 5+ year’s restaurant operations experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to communicate concepts and rationale to internal and external customers – well developed presentation skills.
- Outstanding communication skills; experience coordinating groups for special events.
- Creative and passionate about ideation and new product development.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with demonstrated multi-tasking and project management skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Good writing skills, focusing on menu descriptions.
- Problem solving and critical thinking skill set.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Provides leadership and guidance to Kitchen Assistant Manager.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The majority of the time is spent in a hot environment.
- Frequently required to bend, twist walk and stand for long periods of time; use hands to reach or feel, and talk or hear.
- Fast-paced, high pressure environment requiring the ability to spend significant time moving between different areas of the establishment.
- Position requires the ability to work varying schedule shifts as needed.
- Gathering trash, breaking down cardboard boxes and walking to dumpster to dispose of trash daily.
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others. For more information, visitwww.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status, status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job characteristic as directed by law.