Title: Executive Director
Position: To be determined collaboratively
Benefits: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance; Sick Time; Vacation Time
Reports To: Puentes Board of Directors
Work Schedule: To be determined collaboratively.
The Executive Director is the key management leader of Puentes. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Puentes believes all immigrants, regardless of their legal status, should have access to relevant therapeutic spaces and thrive as equal members of the community.Our mission is to create innovative therapeutic spaces to promote holistic healing, the recovery of social agency, and engage community members to work towards collective immigration justice in the U.S. Puentes provides community-led and culturally-aligned mental health support to see families and communities stand in their strength.
Our staff work collaboratively with our partners and promotores (community mobilizers) to help ease the pain that life can bring and nurture inherent strengths of each unique person to strengthen the fabric of the community. Puentes is based in Burien, and our partnerships extend to all over King County, including unincorporated Vashon Island. We serve nearly 250 people a year; provide psychosocial evaluations for attorneys representing undocumented families through immigration at pro-bono/low-bono rates, counsel individuals and families in Spanish, and offer group therapy centered on healing through the arts and activating youth leadership. Our work is about helping immigrants rediscover and reclaim the story, identity and power they have. People deserve to know their individual, collective, and cultural strength.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organizational mission.
- Responsible for leading Puentes in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for fundraising, grant procurement, and developing other revenues necessary to support Puentes’ mission.
- Responsible for engaging in partnerships with other BIPOC led organizations to enhance collective power and philanthropy and decolonize competitive, deficit-based financial structures.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Puentes, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board, staff and community members to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of Puentes’ programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Puentes can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Puentes’ image and mission by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate, ethical resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for the effective administration of Puentes operations.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, contracts, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Implements operations with adherence to values of immigrants rights, respect for all communities, honesty, transparency, collective power, and authentically anti-racist work.
Actual Job Responsibilities
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the organization.
- Supervise and collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation, driven by community needs and leadership.
- Planning and operation of the annual budget.
- Serve as Puentes’ primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the general public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations and partner with those relationships to strategically enhance Puentes’ Mission.
- Engage in fundraising, grant procurement, and developing other revenues to create a sustainable work environment.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Professional Qualifications Needed
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership.
- Three or more years senior nonprofit management experience.
- Experience and skill in working with a Board of Directors.
- High level strategic thinking and planning. Ability to envision and convey the organization’s strategic future to the staff, board, volunteers and donors.
- Ability to effectively communicate the organization’s mission to donors, volunteers and the overall community.
- Accountable to constituent and community member’s leadership, needs and values; approaches decision making from a collective power model.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- A history of successfully generating new revenue streams and improving financial results.
- Active fundraising and grant writing experience. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of the funding community.
- Previous success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence including funders, partner agencies and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong Spanish and English written and oral communication skills.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Strong work ethic with a high degree of energy.
- Upholds the following values: Immigrants rights, respect for all communities, honesty, transparency, collective power, and authentically anti-racist work. ED Actively resists patriarchal, heteronomative, ableist, classist, etc. norms and structures and seeks to decolonize the workspace. Remains open to feedback from staff and board regarding actualization of these values.