The Department of Game Software Design and Production is seeking an applicant with expertise in current game development technology, the ability to teach game team project courses with a variety of disciplines, and the ability to collaborate with the Department Faculty to develop curriculum for new and existing courses.
This position is offered at the Lecturer or Assistant Professor rank. Candidates with exceptional qualifications may be considered for appointment at the rank of Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor.
Start date: Summer/Fall 2021, or until position is filled
Duties / Responsibilities
- Teach team-based courses in Game Software Design and Production including 2D and 3D game development, game production pipelines and team dynamics and roles
- Grade, review and critique student team project-based work, providing creative direction and critique to students as well as technical guidance for the tools required in the course
- Engage in professional and scholarly activities, advising and mentoring students, active participation in program assessment and development, supervising student projects, and university/community service
- Lecture and teach in classroom and/or lab settings, with responsibilities commensurate to a full-time teaching load
- Mentor student teams in research-based or industry-driven projects
- Engage in active collaborative efforts to develop and improve department curriculum in alignment with program outcomes
- Participate in teaching-related service roles, including scheduled office hours, archiving of student work, and program assessment activities
- Engage in institutional and academic service through the participation in the Faculty Senate, interdepartmental committees, department service and outreach activities
- Engage in active research/professional development via faculty colloquium events or professional conferences
- Maintain a robust scholarly or creative agenda, and work proactively towards fulfilling the same, in close alignment with the institutional vision
Qualifications / Competencies
- Bachelor's degree and 4+ years of experience, or a terminal degree, and knowledge within the game industry
- Strong grasp of fundamentals of 2D and/or 3D game development
- Strong understanding of team dynamics, team organization, and team communication
- Ability to provide quality feedback, practical work solutions, and instruction in 2D and 3D game development
- Ability to communicate the art, audio, design and programming team's roles, tasks and expectations
- Ability to teach specific game engine programming and software development skills within the game environment
- Working knowledge of game design fundamentals and best practices
- Working knowledge of a broad range of game development tools
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering involving interactions between computer science and interactive digital entertainment
- 6+ years of software industry experience including technical and/or production lead positions with the ability to apply the skills of the area of specialization
- Development experience in PC games, mobile games and/or VR/AR using middleware such as Unity or Unreal
- Demonstrated experience working on game titles across various platforms and/or media
- Teaching or other professional public speaking experience, including professional talks or panels at conferences, conventions, or events
To be considered for this position, applicants must include the following:
- Cover letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Portfolio of 2+ shipped titles, published works, published research projects or other body of work
- Statement of teaching philosophy
- Statement of research, creative works, and scholarly interests; focusing on current research and creative activities and future goals
- Statement of views and prior experience with respect to fostering inclusion and diversity in an academic or professional environment
- List of 3 professional references with email and telephone contact information included
About DigiPen Institute of Technology
DigiPen Institute of Technology provides exemplary education and furthers research and innovation in science, engineering, arts, digital media, and interactive computer technologies. Recognized as a leader in game development education and interactive media, DigiPen Institute of Technology is ranked #4 through the Princeton Review. Undergraduate programs are offered in Digital Art and Animation, Computer Science, Game Design, Digital Audio and Music, and Computer Engineering as well as graduate programs in Digital Art and Computer Science. DigiPen Institute of Technology provides students with a solid foundation in game development.
Diversity, equity, inclusion and academic freedom are priorities of the DigiPen Institute of Technology to endorse equal opportunity employment and attract candidates from diverse backgrounds including race and ethnicity, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic status, veteran status, nationality, culture, and religion.
Please visit digipen.edu and apply through the "Faculty and Adjunct Positions" link.