Gannett Fleming, Inc.
Gannett Flemingâ€™s specialists have the in-depth knowledge to excel on the most challenging geotechnical assignments. We provide innovative solutions for foundations, underground construction, earth structures, groundwater resources, and marginal building sites. Our geotechnical engineers and geologists specialize in landslides, sinkholes, mine subsidence, seepage, expansive soils, and seismic activity. We have completed more than 1,000 subsurface and geophysical projects across the U.S. â€“ from small-scale projects to large, complex dams, highways, bridges, and underground structures.
Gannett Fleming's Geotechnical and Dams/Hydraulics team is looking for a Geologist to join our Roseville, CA office to support various hydroelectric clients. Join our team!
As a Geologist, you will be expected to support geologic investigations to characterize and evaluate geologic/geotechnical conditions and to identify geologic factors that could impact the design, construction, and/or long-term performance of engineered structures. Project work will include geologic field reconnaissance mapping to identify and characterize geologic hazards, logging and sampling geotechnical borings, developing geologic models through interpretation of available surface/subsurface data, and preparing technical reports. You will provide assistance with a wide variety of projects, including rockfall evaluation and mitigation, storm damage assessment and repair, post-fire assessment and debris flow mitigation, fault hazard evaluation, and seismic source characterization, geotechnical and structural instrumentation, and water conveyance inspections (canals, tunnels, penstocks).
Responsibilities will include:
- Compile and synthesize geologic data, including geologic maps, aerial photographs, construction records, and other background document information.
- Perform geologic field reconnaissance and mapping for the identification of geologic hazards and site characterization.
- Prepare field exploration work plans and job hazard assessments.
- Participate in subsurface exploration programs, including logging of soil borings, rock coring, fault trenching and test pits.
- Apply standard practices and techniques, interpret and correlate geologic and laboratory data, prepare geologic cross-sections and maps.
- Prepare technical reports or sections of reports.
- Perform construction observation activities including site grading/earthwork, foundation preparation, instrumentation installation, scaling of rock slopes, and rockfall mitigation measure installation.
- Adhere to project quality assurance/quality control, and health and safety protocols.
- Perform periodic client coordination and attends project meetings
- Concurrently support multiple small projects and/or responsible for tasks within larger projects; management includes tracking of project resources, scope, budgets, schedules, and deliverables in accordance with quality management system.
This position requires up to 50% travel to project work sites, other Gannett Fleming offices, or client offices. Occasionally may be asked to work at a construction or project site for an extended period of time.:
Required Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in Geology, Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology, or related discipline.
- 0 to 3 years of direct professional work experience in geology, engineering geology, or hydrogeology or related discipline.
- Experience in conducting field investigation activities/tasks independently or as part of a larger technical team.
- Ability to perform supervised geologic research, prepare tables, figures, and reports with focus on detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of geology, engineering geology, or hydrogeology concepts and processes with ability to apply skills to projects within civil and geotechnical engineering disciplines.
- Ability to thrive on a diverse, close-knit, and dynamic geology team and willingness to learn from experienced mentors.
- Strong, professional-level oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient use of standard office software programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
Preferred Education and Experience
- MS degree in Geology, Engineering Geology, Hydrogeology or related discipline.
- Current Geologist in Training Certification.
- Experience primarily related to water conveyance/storage, hydropower, and infrastructure projects.
- Knowledge of geotechnical instrumentation equipment including interpretation of results.
- Experience with field mapping and assessing rock stability (e.g., natural and cut slopes and within tunnels), performing computer-based stereonet/kinematic analysis and rockfall simulations, to support of design of rockfall stabilization and support/rockfall mitigation.
- Proficient use various professional software tools (Agisoft, Rocscience suite, RockWorks, gINT, LiDAR/photogrammetry software, GIS, etc.).
- OSHA 40-hr. HAZWOPER Certification.
- Rope access training or certification, SPRAT Level I.
At Gannett Fleming, we believe in improving the lives of the people we serve. We believe in innovation and social responsibility. We believe in the diversity of our team and the creative solutions they provide. We believe in embracing change and emerging technologies while maintaining an unmatched standard of quality. We believe in creating an environment where employees can thrive at home and at work. We believe in engaging our employees, building lasting relationships with our clients, and, in turn, making a difference in the world.
We offer a comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance, our tax-deferred 401 (K) savings plan, and the opportunity to incentive compensation for eligible positions. We are committed to your personal growth and professional development, so we offer tuition reimbursement, access to internal and external training programs and support active participation in professional organizations.
Gannett Fleming is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans status or other characteristics protected by law.
Gannett Fleming will not sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa), including any visa renewal during employment, for any candidate for this position. No relocation assistance will be provided for this position. Local candidates will be given preference.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE: Unsolicited resumes from third party agencies will not be accepted.
Location: Roseville, CA
Core Business Hours: 8:00 AM â€“ 5:00 PM
Employment Status: Full-Time
Internal Requisition ID: 2021-8577
Salary Range: Salary dependent upon experience and geographic location