Geophysicist - Active Top Secret Clearance required!
Patrick Afb, FL
Unleash your talents at Leidos! Through advanced technology, scientific discovery and mission-focused achievements, let Leidos show you how to accelerate your career path. We have an immediate opportunity for a Geophysicist to work on-site at the US National Data Center (US NDC) at Patrick AFB, FL. The candidate will support a multi-year program involving a state-of-the-art nuclear test monitoring system.
The US NDC is the geophysical data acquisition, data processing, reporting and archiving component of the United States Atomic Energy Detection System (USAEDS) operated by the Air Force Technical Applications Center (AFTAC). AFTAC's mission is to monitor compliance with nuclear test ban treaties by acquiring, processing, reporting, and archiving data from a worldwide array of seismic, hydro-acoustic and infrasonic sensors.
In this role, you will work with a team providing operations support and maintenance for the system, and performing scientific and engineering studies to enhance its performance. This position involves analyzing, prototyping, testing, and evaluating changes to operational geophysical data processing. Duties will also include prototyping algorithms and optimizing configuration parameters to enhance the geophysical capabilities and performance of the system, especially its automated processing.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Active Top Secret clearance with SCI eligibility
- BS in Physics, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, Geophysics, or related field and 2+ years of relevant experience including geophysical data
- Competency in digital signal processing (detection, feature extraction, etc.), time-series analysis, linear and vector algebra, Fourier and spectral analysis, or related scientific computing
- Experience with MATLAB, GMT, or other scientific evaluation tools
- Experience with relational databases and analyzing large datasets
- Strong analytical and problem solving approach
- Solid verbal and written communication skills
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with automated seismic/hydroacoustic/infrasonic signal detection, seismic event formation, seismic event magnitude, yield estimation, and statistical event identification/classification
- Experience with Oracle databases/SQL, shell programming, and the Linux/UNIX environment
- Experience with Python, C, or Fortran programming
- Knowledge of statistics
- Experience with artificial intelligence or machine learning algorithms and methodologies
- MS in Physics, Mathematics, Electrical Engineering, or related field.