Head Steward (TSVRON-20-1883-W):
Bowhead seeks a Head Steward who will support the Carrier Strike Group Four, Training Support which is responsible for coordinating, establishing, and implementing integrated requirements and policies for manning, equipping, and training fleet units, strike groups (SG), and strike forces (SF). These requirements and elements are paramount in the execution of the Fleet Response Plan (FRP), in support of and as required by U.S. Navy policy and combatant commanders.
The Head Steward to support underway days for a range support vessel working for the U. S. Navy on the Atlantic seaboard. These training support vessels range in size between 150'-250' and are homeported in Hampton Roads, VA.
Essential Functions include but are not limited to:
• Serve as head of the Steward’s department.
• Reports to the Master.
• Plan and prepare three (3) meals per day and night luncheon for crew and embarked personnel (maximum is defined by the number of berths on each vessel).
• Order provisions and supplies, including cleaning supplies, toilet paper, laundry essentials, etc., and maintain required food inventory supporting the menu plan and FOS status periods.
• Receive and store provisions and supplies.
• Maintain cleanliness and stowage of galley, messing area, cabin storeroom, freeze box, chill box, laundry, dry provisions storeroom, thaw room, and specific accommodations areas designated by the Master.
• Ensure all personnel are issued clean linen upon reporting aboard and as needed thereafter.
• Supervise the steward utility in the performance of required duties.
• Stand no designated watches; however, work hours are dictated by the successful accomplishment of identified duties.
Bowhead seeks to network with qualified individuals relative to a potential opportunity, which is contingent upon award and not currently funded. Please click the link at the bottom of this posting to apply for consideration. Incumbent employees are encouraged to respond. No solicitations or third party applications will be accepted.
• High School Diploma Required. Military experience Preferred.
• Two plus (2+) years’ experience operating and maintaining water craft.
• STCW Requirements: Basic Training; VPDSD; Food Handlers.
• MMC endorsed for Steward’s Department Food Handling (FH). 46 CFR 10.215(d)(2) requires mariners applying for the Steward Department Food Handler endorsement to provide a statement from a licensed physician, physician assistant or nurse practitioner attesting that the applicant is free of communicable diseases. The examiner's statement and subsequent annual medical screenings of food handlers shall be confirmed by the Contractor as required by COMSCINST 6000.1 (series) Chapter 6, Section 6.5 for such screening. This documentation shall be on file aboard ships for all food service employees currently assigned.
• Intermediate to advanced level skills in Microsoft Office software suite - Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and outside contacts
• Strong interpersonal skills and good judgment with the ability to work alone or as part of a team
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: There are currently no Security Clearance requirements for this position; however, candidates must be able to successfully pass a background check. Due to the location of this work, US Citizenship is required. Bowhead reserves the right to change this requirement if necessitated by business needs or contractual obligations.
Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and/or random drug screen, and must follow UIC’s Non-DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing Program requirements. If the position requires, an applicant must pass a pre-employment criminal background history check. All post-secondary education listed on the applicant’s resume/application may be subject to verification.
Where driving may be required or where a rental car must be obtained for business travel purposes, applicants must have a valid driver license for this position and will be subject to verification. In addition, the applicant must pass an in-house, online, driving course to be authorized to drive for company purposes.
UIC is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics EOE/AA/M/F/D/V. In furtherance, pursuant to The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act 43 U.S.C. Sec. 1601 et seq., and federal contractual requirements, UIC and its subsidiaries may legally grant certain preference in employment opportunities to UIC Shareholders and their Descendants, based on the provisions contained within The Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act.
All candidates must apply online at www.uicalaska.com, and submit a completed application for all positions they wish to be considered. Once the employment application has been completed and submitted, any changes to the application after submission may not be reviewed. Please contact a UIC HR Recruiter if you have made a significant change to your application. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), persons unable to complete an online application should contact UIC Human Resources for assistance (https://uicalaska.com/careers/recruitment/).
UIC Government Services (UICGS / Bowhead) provides innovative business solutions to federal and commercial customers in the areas of engineering, maintenance services, information technology, program support, logistics/base support, and procurement. Collectively, the fast-growing Bowhead Family of Companies offers a breadth of services which are performed with a focus on quality results. Headquartered in Springfield, VA, we are a fast-growing, multi-million-dollar corporation recognized as one of the top 25 8(a) companies for government contracting.
Link to Apply: