The Floating Hospital
LONG ISLAND CITY, NY
The Floating Hospital, a non-profit healthcare organization that has been providing services for over 150 years, is seeking a bi-lingual (Spanish) Health Educator to work out of our facility located in Long Island City, Queens.
Essential duties include:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate health education programs targeted towards patients, schools, community organizations, and/or selected groups.
- Provide one-on-one health counseling to patients on health topics to promote behavior change.
- Plan, organize, and implement on-site and off-site health education workshops and trivia for adults, adolescents, and children. Topics may include, but are not limited to depression, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, sexual health, stress, drug and alcohol prevention, diabetes, nutrition, fitness and exercise, self -esteem, safety, asthma, hygiene.
- Create and/or enhance existing educational materials as needed.
- Research and collect data for current and future health education programs.
- Assess community needs and priorities through analysis of program results, client records, surveys, and other community resources.
- Monitor and evaluate existing TFH health education programming, creating reports when necessary.
- Act as a resource in health education to our patients, TFH staff, community partners, etc.
- Be knowledgeable of current issues related to Health Education through professional publications and research.
- Assume responsibility for professional development and job-related competency.
- Attend in-service trainings and meetings as required by TFH; may serve on various committees as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidates must be well organized, have strong customer service skills, work well in a team and independent settings, and be able to communicate effectively. Some fieldwork required. Bachelor’s Degree and computer literacy with Microsoft applications required. Bi-lingual (Spanish) and strong presentation skills a must.
About the Company
The Floating Hospital
As the largest provider of primary healthcare services to domestic violence safe houses and family homeless shelters in the city, The Floating Hospital is more than a one-stop-shop; rather, we are a medical home that strives to empower individuals, families and communities to achieve optimal levels of overall health. "Floating" to those who need our services most - we deliver the quality of advanced, respectful healthcare New Yorkers expect from their personal family physicians. The Floating Hospital's board-certified healthcare providers work as a team to provide comprehensive care tailored to our patients' needs and lifestyles in a highly stimulating and rewarding environment with access to the latest technology.
Approaching healthcare from a strength-based perspective, staff celebrate and support patients' well-being instead of focusing on their ailments and illnesses alone. Patients' social and economic challenges are met head-on by offering transportation and serving everyone who walks through our doors, regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay.