Carolina Veterinary Specialists at Charlotte is looking for a Veterinary Assistant/Technician to join our practice. Responsible for all aspects of Internal Medicine department flow, including seeing appointments, performing diagnostics including radiographs, ECG, blood work, assisting with Ultrasounds, Endoscopies , administering chemotherapy medications and monitoring anesthesia in the pre-, peri-, and post-procedure periods, maintaining treatments while in hospital, discharging, and client communications.
- Properly maintain and operate all diagnostic equipment
- Maintain a clean, organized working environment in Internal Medicine exam room, and diagnostic areas by cleaning tables, mopping and disinfecting area and equipment.
- Ability to properly handle and restrain patients with respiratory or cardiac compromise
- Properly prep and scrub patients for sterile diagnostic procedures
- Monitor patient parameters and notify doctor of potential concerns
- Take proactive role in life-saving techniques including CPR, as necessary
- Properly record patient vitals and trends on anesthesia flow sheet
- Use appropriate precautions and safety measures for chemotherapy administration, storage and clean up.
- Perform patient blood work including hematology
- Proper handling of diagnostic specimens during procedure and facilitating the proper care and transfer to laboratory including accurate request forms and documentation
- Ensure that proper procedures and documentation are followed during deceased patient aftercare
- Client communications according to hospital policy
- Medication administration for in house patients and refill processing for Internal Medicine patients
- Outstanding nursing care
- Ability to place catheters and draw blood from patients with compromised veins (peripheral and jugular)
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent combination of education, and/or experience.
- Two or more years of experience with veterinary appointments performing above duties is preferred.
- Certified Veterinary Technician (CVT), Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT), Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT), or the Licensed Veterinary Medical Technician (LVMT) preferred.
- Able to perform moderately physically demanding work, that requires a lot of lifting (up to 50 pounds), cleaning, and constant motion.
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
- Must be flexible with scheduling and able to work some weekends and holidays.