St. Louis, MO
Department/Location: Facilities, St. Louis campus
Organizational Relationship: Reports to Landscaping & Sports Turf Supervisor
Summary: Performs a wide range of general landscape maintenance duties and will work on designing and planting seasonal decorative beds, containers, and planter boxes. Also will be required to assist with ice and snow removal during the winter months.
DUTIES INCLUDE: Assist with General Landscape maintenance duties. Work on landscape planning, selection, planting, and maintenance of annual and perennial beds and planters. Perform tree and shrub planting, pruning, monitoring, and maintenance. Assist with the operation and maintenance of irrigation and pond systems. Provide support, training, and supervision of part-time seasonal staff. Determine material and equipment needs, makes recommendations for purchase of supplies, chemicals, and equipment to supervisor. Responsible for the cleaning, maintenance, and proper use of tools, vehicles, light, and heavy equipment. Responsible for the maintenance of work and storage areas in a safe and efficient manner.
OTHER DUTIES: Performs certain administrative/office-related activities, which include campus horticultural budget planning, attendance at meetings and conferences and additional training related to job functions. Prepare annual and long-term management plans for beds, trees and native areas in alignment with Campus Master Plan. Knowledge of PC skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word), and ability to learn job-related software is required. Must be able to hear, understand, and follow oral and written instructions over radio, telephone, and in person. Flexibility required in working schedule which can include weekend and on-call work.
- Associate’s Degree in Horticulture or related field; Bachelor’s Degree preferred, OR Five or more years of related or equivalent experience in designing, installing and maintaining landscapes
- Knowledge and experience in the use of general landscaping equipment such as but not limited to string trimmers, chainsaws, mowers, tractors, skid steer, tillers, snowblowers, chipper, and a variety of hand tools
- Position requires a pre-employment drug and possession of a valid driver’s license
- Must have the ability to keep an accurate inventory and maintain records of equipment and supplies.
- Position requires the use of chemicals (fertilizer, herbicide, and pesticide) and the application of these chemicals as needed or required. Position includes walking, standing or kneeling for extended periods of time. Ability to exert physical effort for extended periods in performing manual labor in extreme temperatures. Ability to frequently move and/or lift up to fifty (50) pounds and carry a reasonable distance; occasionally lift and/or move more than eighty (80) pounds
- Uses personal protective equipment as needed
- Must possess a State of Missouri Certified Non-Commercial Class 3 pesticide license, or must obtain within 12 months of service
*The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. Additionally, they do not establish a contract for employment.